1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Almost Half The Cost

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by QuadPlower, Dec 9, 2008.

1. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

got an email asking if I could plow someones drive.

I emailed back the cost of $400 for the season.

They emailed back saying they found someone for $250!

I emailed back thanking them for the oppertunity to give them an estimate and if they needed my service in the future, please feel free to contact me.

I'm basing my seasonal contract on 20 plows this year. We had 25-30 depending on where you were and your trigger amounts last year. I wanted to scream at them saying for that price, they better keep my number handy, but I didn't

2. QuadPlower

I got a phone call yesterday asking if I could push the snow from a customers driveway into the cul-de-sac and leave it there. Everyone does it and as long as they can back out the other residents don't mind she said.

I sent her a letter stating that any turf damage we caused would be repaired in the spring (it would anyway, but they also signed a summer mowing contract this year) and that it was illegal to pile snow in a cul-de-sac of a county owned/maintained road.

I think they don't like the looks of the piles of snow. We got 9" this weekend and of course now it is raining.

3. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

lol, im lucky to have such select top notch customers.

4. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

the apartment complex i used to work for used to have us push the snow acorss the street since there was no development there and in january they recieved a letter from the county that it was not allowed to push the snow across the street and leave it there because it could cause damage to the county truck's wing. i cant imagine the county would like it much if snow were pushed into the middle of the cul-de-sac either.

5. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

You can't base your total plows on 1 season, you have to take the average of the last 3 years. I have not seen many years with 20-25 plows in my area, last year was the exception. Most years are 10-15 plows, if that. My 2 cents.

6. QuadPlower

I don't. 4 years ago it ws 20, 3 years ago we had 11, 2 years ago it was 20, and last year it was >25.

I'm on the other side of the state and we get alot of lake effect. I live just far enough from the lake that we don't get the huge ammounts of snow in a storm, normally 2-6. Enough to go out and plow.

7. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

That would make more sense. West side always gets more snow.