1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

almost finished

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Detroitdan, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Almost finished with the revamp of the 12 head Edge I got. So far I've turned it around so the takedowns are now rear work lights. Been needing them for filling the sander at night. I added taillights, always wanted some high mount STTs like wreckers have. I bought 1157 sockets and made them myself. Cut them in the middle of the ambers, I hated to cut but they looked funny inboard (too close together) and they looked funny outboard too. I figured out a way to change the two center strobes to amber, I had enough lens left over to make little lenses for them that go inside the clear lens. Might not make sense until you see the pics. Now I have 6 linear strobes to the rear with two linears on the ends. And that's with the four fronts cut off. With all 12 going I should really be able to plow some snow :dizzy:
    I decided I wanted cruise lights, and I had a pair of amber marker lights in my toolbox, so I pulled out the alley lights and put one on each end. I never use alleys, and the kind I have don't line up with the old style endcaps anyway. I put the markers toward the front so they won't be too noticeable from the rear, but show up good from the side and and front. I was tempted to put another turn signal on the ends, but I stopped myself because it seemed a little ridiculous. I also have enough lens left to cover the clear alley cutout, I'm just going to glue a piece over the inside, because right now my end strobe lights up mostly white.
    Since it's a 1 ton with plenty of factory marker lights, I decided I wanted to continue with the theme and add three DOT type lights between the taillights somewhere. Not much room but I ended up finding a set of three red LED accent lights at Autozone, I'm going to drill and flush mount them between the 4 rear work lights. That should evenly space them.
    Now at least it will look more like a work bar than a cruiser bar. I think I'll appreciate being able to get more use out of it than strictly using plow beacons, I mean the taillights and worklights and all. Honestly, I'll probably use it less than I use my current setup, only because it is going to be too much.
    My switch panel has 6 light up rockers with labels. I'm thinking I'll have 1st switch for all strobes, 2nd rear strobes only, 3rd front strobes only, 4th strobe dimmer, 5th halogen flasher, 6th worklights.
    Whle it's still apart and off the truck I need to look into changing the patterns. Right now all I have is comet flash, all left then all right. I'd like a modu flash, and maybe switch some lights around so it's mixed up a little better.
    I will get some pics of the project later today.
  2. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Cant wait to see it. Sounds like quite the project.
  3. Detroitdan

here's some pics

the 3 little flush mount LEDs are junk. the little plastic mount ring they come with broke on all three, just cheesy Chinese garbage. Not real enthused about how they look, either. Probably have to take them out and get a regular DOT strip and mount it to the bottom outside of the bar.
    Not quite done yet but a lot of progress. 1) front of bar, 4 strobes and flashers. 2) rear with clear center section and amber lenses that I made, along with lousy LEDs. 3) closeup of amber lenses I made for the two strobes over the work lights, and the LEDs. 4) my homemade taillight. 5) marker lights in the ends.

edge 009.jpg

edge 006.jpg

edge 001.jpg

edge 002.jpg

edge 004.jpg
  4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I bet your wife loves walking into her dinning room and seeing a full lightbar sitting on her table.:D
  5. Detroitdan

couple more pics. right end cap hasnt got the yellow alley light insert glued in yet, and the 3 LEDs are obviously crooked. Did the outside two first then realized the middle one had a screw in the way. So if I keep them I have to drill two new holes and move the outer two down a half inch. Need to bury a bunch of wires and trim the two red taillight lenses, with so many extra dividers the lenses ended up being too long.

edge 005.jpg

edge 003.jpg

edge 010.jpg
  6. Detroitdan

LOL That's a bet you'd lose. Judging from the daily comments I'm pretty sure she doesn't like it much at all.
  7. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Actually... It doesn't look to bad, love to see what it looks like in full operational mode!
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I always have stuff sitting around that I am tinkering with. Gives me something to do in the winter when not plowing. My GF is always asking why do you have to do it in here and I just tell her that I could do it out in the shop,but I only get to see her for a few hours once she gets home from work so I tell her that I want to spend the time with her. it goes over pretty good and she appreciates the attention.
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That wears off after you get married, my wife tells me to go out side now.:D
  10. big bird

big bird Senior Member

i here you on that one:dizzy:
  11. Detroitdan

All done, and mounted on the backrack. My brilliant idea of mounting to the top verticals of the backrack could have used a little more planning. Or perhaps measuring. After I finished drilling holes and bolting everything down I got down and walked a little ways off to look at it. Wow, it was way too high. Looked totally stupid. So I figured out how to drop it down 2 inches and use my existing brackets to bolt it to the crossbeam that says back rack on it, much like the factory mounts do. So I drilled holes in it for nothing. It's a little more sturdy now too.
    I redid the 3 LEDs, glued them in and they look okay now. Not sure if I like how the side markers look. Still too visible from the rear. I moved them once to try to make them more front and side, but they light up the end cap and from behind I have 2 yellows with 5 reds between them. Have to see if I can block the yellow light to the rear somehow.
    Wired up switches so I can run all 12 strobes, or 8 rear, or 6 front, a dimmer, 2 front halogen flashers, and the work lights. Everything works and it looks sick at night. Wish I could do a video. I'd still like to change the flash pattern and move some strobes around, it's still left/right. Boring.
    I literally spent weeks agonizing over how I wanted to set this bar up to do everything I want. The one sacrifice I made is to leave the halogen flashers up front. I wanted them on the back to use when I don't want the strobes going, and I have no need of them up front. I'll probably never use them. When I was all done I had an idea. I should have removed two of the rear strobes and put them in back next to the taillights. I would actually use the flashers, and I can certainly afford to give up two strobes. Maybe some other time, I'm sick of working on it for now.
  12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

The first thing I thought of when I saw that on the table was how my wife would kill me. I just read her the replies regarding that and we were laughing our tails off. I guess I shouldn't have read them and just saved that line about spending time with her to use later.
  13. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We want to see it lit up and on the truck!!
  14. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

What P Packs did you use to run 12 strobes on that? I have 2 4 strobe packs to run my eight but want to add more strobes. I have the whelen classic edge 9000. 60 incher. Also where in NH are you? Im in Hudson
  15. Detroitdan

Just took a couple pics but my camera can't catch the strobes lit up. Got a halogen flasher in one. Mostly the pics just show where the bar sits. Streetfrog, I'm not sure but I think there are three 4 head 90 watts power supplies in it. It is the way it came. The extra strobes are the linears on each end facing to the side, and the two right above the worklights in the rear center. Wish I had the halogen flashers to the rear too, but I was running out of room. Someday I may remove two rear strobes and put the flashers there, but it's okay for now. Still want to change the flash pattern to modu-flash, or at least swap a couple heads to get away from left/right flash.

edge2 001.jpg

edge2 002.jpg

edge2 003.jpg
  16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I bet you feel good to see it up there now that it is done. Hope you have a big battery (or 2) for all that power draw + the plow.
  17. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

looks rate wicked good
  18. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Looks good - don't worry about power draw - I have had a whelen lightbar for 18 years never a power draw problem. Just took it of and replaced it with a mini liberty led