1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

allright...whats the trick?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by garye5007, Feb 26, 2007.

1. garye5007

garye5007 Junior Member

I got a used xblade this year with a minute mount 2 and i always have trouble putting plow on after following directions to remove (more like a 15 minute mount!). my push plate always seems too high to get pins in when pushing on headgear.
    is there some trick when removing plow or when putting it on to make it easier?
    Thanks in advance for your advice!

2. WALKERS

WALKERS PlowSite.com Addict

Are you disconnecting on soft surface IE dirt, mud ECT If you are find a good 2X6 to put your kick stand up on.
    That wat you are at the correct hieght for next time remember were you leave it.
    JOSH

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Make sure that the lift cylinder is actually being retracted ALL the way as well, i know it's suppose to have a spring on it, but sometimes they don't pull it down all the way/enough. Also, like the above poster said make sure the jack is on a solid surface.

4. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

Another trick too is that you want to keep the trucks weight/balance about the same when you take the plow off and put it back on. Example, if you load your truck after the plow is off, it will cause the front end to rise and then make the plow lower or Vice Versa. For my use I've found that its easiest to load the truck with whatever I'm going to use to melt the snow or what not, then take the plow off so that I can quickly connect to it. Hope this helps.

5. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

You stated you bought a USED PLOW.
    Was the plow ever adjusted for your truck?
    Minute mount plows have to be set up and adjusted to the hight of the truck they are to be used on.

6. garye5007

garye5007 Junior Member

yes i had it installed by qualified pesonel.
    thanks for your replies!

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I have the exact same issue with a MM1 on a 2000 Chevy 3/4 ton. The issue I have is when I get the pins pulled and I back away from the plow, the headgera pivots back as the pushplates come out of the A frame. My resolution is to get out and give the headgear a shove from behind while pulling on the jack base so the receiver part of the plow winds up higher than it was. Kind of a hack solution, but its at least marginally effective. I always keep a small hydraulic jack handy though because its virtually never an easy in mounting process.

Might also be partially because my driveway is a slight incline.

How does one do this?

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

you will have to push up on the headgear to lock in the pins, I think that it actually is a written step from the manufacture to complete the mounting process.

Level, hard terrain and same weight in truck is key to a quick connect.

I've been connecting to mine for 4 years now and will still have those days were it just seems to take forever.

9. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Hard surface is the key! like stated before!

10. 67Mopar

67Mopar Junior Member

I have used racks , skids , blocks etc, the springs in my ram must be weak because I lift about 3 inches after plow is off. Im trying to find a nice plan for a rack I can build maybe even something with HD locking casters so I can roll it out of the way as my only post is in front of a garage door. If anyone knows of such a rig let me know, I too am sick of the half hour it takes to put this pos on and off, esp today since our 6 inches has changed to pouring rain.

Thanks

11. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

I agree, it is Fishers only weak point, the mounting system sucks.

12. GMC_SLE

GMC_SLE Junior Member

I just purchased a MM2 this year and I find it pretty easy to hook up. When I am unhooking the plow I release the jack and I lift the plow frame just a little allowing the jack lock to snap into a higher hole. This seems to help it line up better when driving back into it. On a rare occasion the jack hole snaps right in when you release the lever but usually the plow has to move up or down for it to catch. My truck is a half ton so it's pretty easy to lift the front a little just by lifting on the frame.

13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

The MM system is super simple if you follow a few rules, as stated above make sure the lift ram is ALL the way down before diconnecting. The plow has to be on an even, hard surface, so if you remove it on dirt, put a piece of 2x6 under the leg. If your truck is higher then the plow mounts when you drive up to it, pull the headgear forward, if it won't stay forward, shorten the chain to hold it. Once the mount is seated put the chain back to it's original position and push back on the headgear, I usually just lean against the headlight bracket. If there was a lot of difference in the height of the truck vs the plow you will need to pull the leg release while holding the headgear up, to reposition the leg lower.
    The only problem I've had with the MM 2 vs the MM 1 is if the truck is not square to the plow, as both pins try and engage when you lift the handle, and I have had 1 pin go in front of the mount. It shouldn't take more then a minute to attach the plow.

Bill

14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite Mopar, fill in your signature so we know what plow and truck you have.

Fishers must be put into float mode to release the pressure on the plow, once floated your truck should not change its height because all the weight of the plow is on the ground.

I don't understand the comment about the post/garage door?

If you have a MM2 or even an MM1 5 minutes tops and thats only if you can't seem to line up the mounts so you have to keep getting out and seeing how far to the right or left you have to be.

15. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I've taken my MM1 on/off maybe a dozen times this year while futzing around with it. I keep a 2x6 under the blade and a 12"x12" under the foot plate and park it in the same spot every time. Once you do it once or twice you develop a system (pretty close the to directions) that works for you. Personally I drive into it and push the plow so I know its sitting square in the mount. Put on the e-brake and unlock the pins, push up on the head gear and the pins snap in by themselves. Hook up the wires and go!. I think the longest it took for me to hook up was 2 minutes one time when the pins were a little rusty.