1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison update (this can happen to you)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Dealer called me this morning and said the truck was done....the tranny wasn't smoked. (but i am) Heres the deal:
    They said the truck got a "low voltage spike" and what that does is shut off the Allison tranny (won't do anything) to prevent it from exploding.
    Service manager said when i raised my plow the voltage dropped to low and thats what caused the tranny to kick out of gear and wouldn't go into any gear.
    I said thats funny cause we didn't have snow for 2 weeks and the plow wasn't even on the truck when it happened, then he went on to tell me that this combo (8.1L/Allison) is NOT meant for snowplowing and chevy probably wouldn't cover it under warranty, because the plow is too big !!(how the hell do they know how big my plow is ?) Chevrolet only recomends a 7 1/2' plow on a 2500hd.

Thier fix: They don't have one right now. They said that maybe adding an extra battery would help to keep the voltage up. Told me that it would cost around $180 for them to install. I said (well i can't type it here) this is not my problem and i am not paying for it wether it would help or not. Heres the best part,,they tried getting me to pay $65 for having the truck towed in (chevy only covers $100 of a towing bill) and mine was $165. They are the ones who told me to have the truck towed.

I think they probably lost 5 or 6 customers because they were stupid enough to tell me all this in the showroom. You should have seen the people looking at me,,some came closer to listen ,,some walked out the door,, we received a foot of snow since sat., i have been in a backup truck for 2 days with about 6 hrs of sleep and your going to fill my head with this BS

I do feel bad in a way because my good friend is the GM at the dealership and i think he's going to pay the $65, but on the other hand i don't because he is the one that talked me into this truck and tranny combo.

Well i plowed all nite and didn't have any problems,,my voltage gauge drops to 12 when i use the plow,,in case anyone is wondering.
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

That SUCKS!voltage spikes,7.5' plows on HD'swhat the hexx?whats next,the thing shuts down after 65mph?I've been a diehard chevy guy but i am slowly losing faith with some of these stories.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I'm not an Allison expert,but I think that may be a load of crap.I know they have a lot of electronics on the truck,but I thought the tranny would still work if the electronics died.Like stuck in second or third gear or something like that.I don't think it was a voltage spike,but maybe a bad TCM.

I found this on the web,it may help,if it ever does it again.

If you are confronted with an Allison LCT 1000 that does not move in forward or reverse try unplugging the gray connector at the TCM and shifting the transmission again. If you now get Reverse and D3 it is a control problem with the TCM.
  4. Barkleymut

Barkleymut PlowSite Veteran

Sure am glad I didn't get the Allison tranny.

Anyways sounds like the problem is with the dealer. I'll bet if you contact GM you will get a better response. I would no longer deal with the dealer. They obviously don't understand a darn thing and you should contact GM. The best way to deal with someone is to 1)reinforce their product then 2) tell them the problem.

Example: I love the way the Allison shifts and I think it is the best darn trany in the 3/4 ton market but I have had some problems with mine. If that doesnt work then you have to deal with lawyers who are as crooked as the letter Z.
  5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I agree with wyldmanm, the tranny should still work when it has had a "voltage spike". I have a 4l80E in my 2500, and had a similar thing happen, but the tranny goes into "limp mode". It would shift bad, and had no OD, but still worked. I might be wrong here, but don't trucks have voltage regulators and fuses to compensate for extreme changes in voltage?
  6. long0

long0 Senior Member

Did they say what you could do to get your truck moving if it happened again? Disconnect the battery, something like that?

7. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Someone please explain why my Ford F-350 CC (1 of 4 F-350's) has never given me the slightest trans problem?

I learned the hard way with GM products.............. all the "tainted dealer explanations" of why the plow truck they just sold you should not be plowing snow?????

I even had one of the Chevy dealer service tech's ask me at the time why didn't I go with a Ford????????

I replied , I know........I KNOW!

my truck #1- web ready.jpg
  8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I own an Ford an could not disagree more with the above. I have heard of numerous problems with all three manufacturers. To state that one does and one doesn't is kidding yourself. Just look at the posts by SDLawndawg in the Ford section 38k, out warranty and about 3k in repairs.

They all suck, is my opinion.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your right,all trucks will have some problems,but it's a bitter pill to swallow when your dealer or the mfg screws you over.Especially when they blame it on "the plow".Easiest way for them to shift the blame to you.

I've been fortunate,we have quite a few Dodge's.and all have original trannies.My truck just went over 350,000 on the stock trans behind a Cummins,and it's still going.So much for all those people who say the Dodge trannies are junk.
  10. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

The problem that as that I understand is partially that Chevy uses the 1000 tranny, but that is not the tranny that allison is known for as being bullet proof is I think the 3000 series... I think not sure... but as most auto manufactors or should I say most manufactors do that try to skimp a little here a litte there to hold the cost down... in doing so it does not last as long... .

What would happen to the auto industry if that did build a vehicle that could go 1,000,000 with out any repairs.... that could withstand a 40mph accident with out any damage...

If you do a search engine search on the allison and say 2500 problems... you find a lot of them out there... .

as I looked real quickly dodge decided not to use the allison 1000 motor for the cummins diesel as an option... stayed with the 47RE so it could handle the torgue output...

just my .02 IMO

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Your dead on about the 1000.People seemed to be buying it because of the Allison name,and the bulletproof reputation.The input torque capacity is pretty low too.A minor mod like propane or a chip,is enough to do some serious damage to that stock Allison.Same reason why Dodge didn't use it,although the 47RE wasn't much better stock.

Doesn't mean it's a bad tranny though,it will do just fine it a stock application.I'm sure the aftermarket will make it much stronger,just look at what they have done for the Dodge and Ford trannies.
  12. Earthscapes

from WNY

long0-- they said the only way to get it to move again is for them to hook it to the computer and reprogram the system.

I did put a call into Allison in Buffalo today and they want to see the truck tomorrow,with the plow on it.

ChicagoSnow ---> the company i worked for (for 9 yrs) before had 11 Fords (94's-97's) . I got sick of replacing twin I beams, oil pans, exhaust manifolds,,u joints etc.
    I'm not sure how the new fords are,but my past expirence's with them was not fun.

It really doesn't matter what make anybody buys were all going to have some problems sooner or later and i rather have them when i don't have to pay for it.

heck my 90' has 160,000 miles on it and i have only done regular maint. on it for the past 4 yrs and it gets beat on pretty heavy.

wyldman--- i bought the Allison because i needed a big block for the heavy towing i do all summer and i hate shifting gears. This tranny has some awesome features when pulling a trailer,,the braking, the shift points..but it just gives me problems in the snow.

I'll update more after i go to Allison.
  13. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Try posting this on the Diesel page. There is a Allison tech that hangs out there and will help you solve your problem. Steve O is his name I think. You need to be a member to post so I will post this is you want.
    E mail me what you want to post.
  14. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a Mitsubshi FE HD that has an Allison tranny, don't know the model. If I shift too fast back and forth when plowing the tranny's electronics gets confused and a light comes on in the dash,it goes into a "creep" mode until I stop and shut off the engin and restart. The tranny resets itself like nothing has happened. Its a scare when it happens.

15. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

How do you like the Mitsubishi?????

Let me know pros and cons.

Thank you,

16. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

As far as the 1000 series trannies go, it is a new line of trannies made just for the Gm light duty line up. Ford and Dodge didnt use the trannies because GM has exclusive rights to it.
    Anyway back to issue at hand. It does sound like a huge line of BS being thrown at you. How does an 8' plow draw more power than a 7.5'. Remember that according to law, unless they can prove that an aftermarket item caused the damage, they have to cover it. Even if it is a snowplow. Especially if the truck has the plow prep package.
  17. gslam88

gslam88 Senior Member

per the article that I previous posted

When I contacted Allison, they stated that the company is "committed to selling to other OEM's (Original Equipment Manufacturer)." To prepare for the added demand the company recently built a new manufacturing facility in Baltimore.

So I am not sure if that is the reason dodge opted out

Check and see if there is a lemon law ... I beleive in reguards to that .. the truck would have to be in for service 30 days or more and or 3 times or more for the same excact problem... not sure thoght.... might be worth a shot

18. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

1. True to the point. If dealer help is not up to par, call the 800# in the back of your owners manual.
    2. If your truck has the plow prep option, they cannot blame your plow for any damages (except things like reckless plowing). Plow prep means that Chevy equipped the truck to handle a snow plow. They CANNOT tell you they won't warranty something they think the plow did:nono: . Unless it was caused by reckless plowing as stated earlier. I would call and state that the truck has a prep pkg, therefore Chevy allowed it to handle a plow, and should take responsibility. They cannot refuse to warranty it!!!!
    3. Anyone...NEVER buy a truck for plowing that does not have plow prep. If you have a dealer that may not want to help, it's an easy out for them not to warranty stuff they should!!
    4. If they refuse to warranty something, ask to talk to your area service rep., they have to come meet you and discuss concerns.
  19. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Dealer is FOS! I have 2 2500HD GMC with 8 FT Western Pro, both trucks are 8.1/Allison & no problems, call another dealer, or shove your foot in your servive mrg's A<< :D
  20. Earthscapes

from WNY

Heres an update. The truck went to Allison today (with a copy of the dealers paperwork) they laughed when they read it. The guy told me i could run the truck on 9 volts till the truck stopped running and it would never shut off the transmission. He said that i needed a new updated neutral safety switch to replace the one i have. He showed me where the connecter takes in water and that causes the problem. I said great can you change it and he said no only the dealer can under warrantey,,because Allison builds the tranny for general motors. He said call your dealer and talk to them and tell them that you brought the truck here. Btw they didn't charge me anything for 1 1/2 hrs in thier shop, so i thought that was pretty cool.

So i call the dealer and tell them the what the problem is and how i found out and they tell me well we haven't heard of any neutral safety switch problems,,so we can't help you. I asked him if he could check into for me and he says no. So i told him he is a F-in a-hole and their service su&ks. So now i'm really steamed,,so i start calling dealerships in the area and have an appointment on monday.
    What really ticks me off is that my friend is the GM at this dealership and his hands are tied when it comes to the service dept. Except for when it does come in for service it goes to the top of the list and i found out he ate the $65.00.

oh yeah the truck has snow plow prep.