1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison Transmission

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Jan 26, 2007.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I was wondering if any one here has heard the news about GM considering selling off its Allison Transmission division, It was in my daily news paper about this, apperently GM is trying to raise money, in my opinion, I think this would be a bad move for GM.
  2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I didn't hear that. Why would you say it'd be a bad move? I bet they'd continue to use Allisons in their light and medium duty trucks even if they did sell it.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

New one on me too.Could you post a copy of the article?
  4. CAT 245ME

Powered by

GM considers selling Allison

Jan 26, 2007 3:00 PM

General Motors (GM) yesterday announced it is considering selling its lucrative Allison Transmission business. The divesture would dispose of an operation “not central to GM’s mission of designing, manufacturing and selling cars and light trucks globally,” said the OEM.

Allison is considered a dominant player in the transmissions market for heavy- and medium-duty trucks, according to investment banking firm Bear Stearns. Allison should be an attractive asset for bidders, Bear Stearns said.

Headquartered in Indianapolis, Allison employs 3,400 persons and has seven plants. It sells automatic and powershift transmissions and provides product parts and support through a worldwide distribution network and offices in North America, South America, Europe, Africa and Asia.

An Allison acquisition would have some strategic potential for ZF, Eaton or Volvo, Bear Stearns said. But it considers International the “best likely fit” considering that OEM’s core offerings and competencies.

Find this article at:
  5. CAT 245ME

The reason I think it would be a bad move for GM is if they are loosing money, why would you want to consider selling off a part of the company that is very profitable? , it just doesnt make sense to me. The article in my local paper was from the associated press, if you do a search online you will get some information, the article I posted was just one of the ones I came across.
  6. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Bad move if they divest themselves of Allison since at this time it may be the reason they were in the black this fiscal year.
  7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Oh I agree, it probably is a very poor financial decision, especially since Allison has established itself so well in the American market. It really doesn't directly affect me, though.

When they say that International is the "best likely fit", are they referring to the International Harvester Company? If so, that could potentially mean the conjunction of IHC Diesels and Allison Automatics in Ford trucks.