1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

allison trans replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrodgers, Sep 5, 2002.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

I have a 2001 2500hd Duramax and I already had to have the trans replaced at 17,000 miles. Very light use, as a matter of fact my wife was using it until her vehicle came in when it happened. The mechanic who worked on it said that a weld broke somewhere and all the fluid leaked out. He said where the weld broke they usually use bolts, but because it was so heavy duty they(Allison or Chevy) welded it. I am not to sure if I am expaining it the right way, but someone might know what I am talking about. Anyway has anyone every had a similar problem. When I asked the mechanic if there were any other trucks come in with the same problem( this was a couple of months ago) he said no. Oh and I got a look at the paperwork for the warranty and if I read it right the trans was like $8,000 and they dont rebuild them yet. See ya.........
  2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Hey i have a 02 HD with the 8100 and the Allison. They replaced it at 2100 miles. Not the same problem as yours but my wouldn't go past first gear.

If this thing blows again (like when i'm plowing) i'll probably push it through the front windows at the dealership.

RYAN SMITH Junior Member
    from PA

We have 2 HD models with the allison one w/44,000 and one w/31,000 no tranny problems yet knock on wood.Ican tell u 1 thing that when the fuel filter gets plugged up the first thing that u notice is the tranny will not shift right. Soon as u put a new filter in ,the problem goes away
  4. long0

long0 Senior Member

01 - 8.1 w/ allison
    My truck went in at 5K for a new tranny, then again at 7,400 for another one. The truck would not shift out of 2nd. What a pain, driving 50miles to the dealership in 2nd gear.

Dealer said that some line in the allison transmissions crack and that crack does not allow enough pressure to create to shift. I don't know a thing about transmissions, but I that is what they told me.

Now I have about 16K with no other problems.
    Earth - I was plowing when the first one went out. Damn good thing I was cleaning up my own driveway.

5. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

I plowed with mine all last winter and it it going on 98,000 miles. Working good so far (knock on wood). We also had our first snow this coming winter on the 20th. Snowed 1/2 inch.
  6. Earthscapes

from WNY

98,000 miles ??? where the heck have you been driving ?
  7. Earthscapes

from WNY

Maverick i see your running a sno-way...... hows the thing work ?? any major problems ??

I just picked up a 9' lobo "cheap" should be on the truck in 2 weeks..... just hope it works as well as my western.
  8. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

I run a Hotshot company and just mainly haul construction material to jobsites in Alaska. The truck is 18 months old.

The Sno-Way is junk in my opinion. It is not up to the task of commercial plowing. I busted the A frame on it already toward the end of the season last year. The controller quit working. The valves were not set right right from the factory and had to be adjusted. There is a recall that I have to go in for to get a valve replaced. The up-down cylinder developed a leak and would not stay up. I lost a few bolts that rattled out. The steel skin dents easily. The welds for the brackets that hold the shoes broke. Everything was replaced or fixed under warranty last year so hopefully I have no problems with it this season. I would love to get a new Curtis but I can't take the loss on a 1 year old plow. My other buddy that I plow with has a HT series plow on a Ford SD and his is worse off than mine except for the A frame. His keeps getting a brain freeze and won't go up or down. This recall is for the valve that controls this so maybe it is fixable. I'll never buy another one. I put about 160hrs on mine last winter. It would be fine for a residential owner for his own drive. My plow is the HT series and is supposed to be commercial grade. NOT!

Ask away if I can feed you some more information.