1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison trans overheat, not engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by timm9, Jan 12, 2004.

1. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

For the last week or so I have been reading all the posts about Chevy trans problems. None seem to be the same as what I have experienced in a 2001 2500HD with the Allison and 8.1.

First storm after about an hour of plowing, the trans temp got up to about 235. The engine temp did not change. It then began slamming into gear between reverse and drive. If you let it cool off it was fine for about an hour or so. It would also at times stick in first gear when coming out of 4 x 4 high. I would then stop, shift to neutral, then in and out of 4 high and the problem was gone.

The truck only has 9300 miles and I was really worried after some of the posts I had read. I finally got into the dealer this morning (after stripping the plow, beacon, etc) and was told (if I got this right) that I needed a Converter Drain Back Adapter Kit and it would be under warranty. Sounds like it is not the first time the dealer has seen this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this solves the problem. Just thought I would pass it on as I did not read any posts with the same symptoms as mine.
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

My trany has stayed cool as a cucumber even with plowing hard. I,ve got a Duramax and weigh in a bit over 8k # with my balast and 9'6" fisher V.

Sounds like something is fubar and nothing woulda helped you but I always plow in tow haul because the converter locks up part way through 2nd so that keeps temps down a bit and it rides out the gears a bit longer to reduce shifting.

I have added a deep pan from allison, it plus the internal filter were right at 100$.

Also make sure you change your spin on filter at the first oil change and then I am going to every other change. And dont forget the little doughnut magnet on the filter either!
  3. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Thought I would follow up on the thread. Got a call from the dealer today. The part needed for the Allison is in on a "Nation Wide Back Order". Could not give me an idea of how long to get the part.
  4. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

What part is on backorder?
  5. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

They said (If I got this right in the message) I needed a Converter Drain Back Adapter Kit. Something about the fluid not getting to the"veins" when the converter is turning?
  6. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

PRNDL Switch

I had a similar problem last season where the tranny was slamming in/out of gear and was almost undriveable. Dealer fixed it while I waited during the biggest strom of the year! Was a PRNDL switch. Adviser said the Ally is almost bullet proof and you rarely see a prob. WHen you do it's usually an external prob like mine was. Good luck! [​IMG]
  7. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Thought I Would post a follow up. 01 Silverado 8.1 w/Allison came back from dealer after installing the "Converter Drain back kit" and trans runs much cooler. Still shifts very hard after it warms up (even idling) and will occasionally refuse to shift out of low gear after being in 4 high. It went back to the shop yesterday
  8. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Got my 01 2500HD with Allison back from shop on Friday. I'm told it was a faulty selenoid in transmission. Expecting snow in the next day or so. Time will tell if it is really fixed.