1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison Tranny

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bruce'sEx, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Out of interest, anyone had to rebuilt one yet? I'm curious as to the cost.

2. snyps

snyps Senior Member

Expensive to rebuild. If you do, best recomendation get it done by a performance shop so you don't ever have to do it again. The Allison will handle about 60 more HP than what the stock D-Max, or 8.1L has. If you bump up your HP, people are ripping them to shreds..

I have heard in the range of $4200 for the rebuild.

3. jay723

jay723 Member
    from SE CT

For that amount of money, buy an aftermarket tranny that will handle unlimited horsepower and torque. Suncoast is a good one to look into.

4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

NUMEROUS people have rebuilt them. Suncoast and Alien trannys are the best. It is very common amongst the 'diesel hot rodders'. They are very solid when rebuilt with stronger flexplates and a new torque converter. The stock Allison 1000 can handle a decent amount of power, but only if you lock out 5th gear. Check out DieselPlace.com for all the info you could ever want.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

My old neighbor "said" he went through 2 of them. He had a2002 3/4 ton GMC gasser, I didn't think they put them in a gasser vs. diesel trucks:confused: He said they were both under the 3/36 warranty. I personally think he was full of *#$! From what I've read in a few different articles, the Allison will last for a long time unless you start to put all of the chips and other stuff to raise the torque and hp of the trucks.

6. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Brian the only way that your nieghbor got the Allison in the gas motor would be if he has the 8.1 Big Block. Otherwise he has the 4L80E.

Will

7. Antnee77

from RI

The Allison 1000 is an awesome tranny. Unless you absolutely abuse the shite out of it and don't change the fluid and filter, you'll have unlimited miles of uninterrupted service with stock power. With a chip on level 1 or 2, you should be fine as well, but with an Edge Juice w/Attitude on level 4 or 5, you're looking for trouble.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah I figured as much,lol He only had a 6.0L Or maybe he had a "proto-type" truck and they gave it to him to try out for a couple of years. But yeah I thought he was full of %$#!

9. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

10. Antnee77

from RI

11. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

People say they are "THE BULLET PROOF TRANSMISSION"........so i decided to prove them wrong. In july i blew out the bottom half of the trans, the second valve body blew out on the freeway and blew fluid all over the front of my trailer, mowers and everything. Lets just say that was a bad day. The estimate was just over $2700!!!!

12. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

110k miles the comp went out 800.00 great trans

13. snyps

snyps Senior Member

They say it can handle 60 HP over the stock engines. I have the 8.1L and the allison and it is the best out there. I have friends that run over 700HP with them in lifted chevys, they had to ship the trannies to sun coast to get them upgraded to handle the power..