1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison reverse gear

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rob Hausrath, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

Hello All!

My truck is being built this week! An '04 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Shot Bed with the Duramax... I can't wait!!!

The only thing that I am not looking terribly forward to is the speed in reverse. Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Do any of the "Power Programmer" devices or chips override this?

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Rob:bluebounc

2. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Rob don't worry about it....... you'll never be able to go that fast in reverse anyway.

I hope you have better luck with your tranny than i did !!!

Keith

3. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

don't they only go 15mph or something in rev? NO GOOD! I go faster than that in reverse, too, rob- but I don't know how to cheat it.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I drove one yesterday,and they are pretty slow in reverse.It kinda feels like you have the transfer case in low range,but not so severe.I could get used to it though.Just try to plow without backing up as much as possible.Bigger tires may help too.

Idon't think the power programmer or GM could override this,as it's a gearing problem,nothing computer or software related.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I think it is a gearing problem, reverse seems pretty low but I havent ever tested the top speed of it. There are programers that remove the rev limiter if that whats holding them back.

Dont bother me though since I try to be in reverse as little as possible, if you are in reverse you aint moving snow. JMO though.

Good luck with the new truck I love mine :bluebounc

What kinda plow you getting? You geting the newer updated motor? The one withthe variable turbo?

6. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

oops sorry skipped a part.....
    they go around 30mph in reverse @ about 4700 rpms

7. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I apologize for speaking in ignorance...

8. ratlover

from IL

most of the time I drive like a lunatic but you aint going to see me going 30 in reverse. :dizzy:

duramax nock off the limiter in reverse? I know grade breaking will go to 4700 but I didnt think it would apply power that high without a chip.

edit: speaking of chips......every day I have to fight the urge to get my truck "juiced"

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  9. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

4700 is talking about the gas engine. D-max won't go 4700. At least not completely assembled. :D I just deal with the slower reverse. I mean you're not pushing much snow when you're going backward, so...

Plus I think you'll find times when you like having a nice low reverse gear, like when you're backing up while pulling something heavy.

10. ratlover

from IL

in grade breaking mode it will go to 4700 from the factory. With a chip removing the limiter it will pull to 4700. Dosnt make as much power up there but she will run that high. I wouldnt recomend doing it on a regular basis though ;)

11. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Chicken. :p

12. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

high speed reverse

I would think 15 mph or so in reverse while plowing would be reasonable .I only need 30+ mph in reverse while pulling a reverse 180 LOL Allison must do this for a reason ,... durability ?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2003
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't think it's for duraility.They gear them so low to help them creep better in reverse.Makes it easier backing in a big trailer.