1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison owners (when to change the filter)??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

2002 (2500hd 8.1L/Allison) So when is the right time ?? I have done mine 3 times in 23000 miles. To much ?? to little ?? somebody fill me in. The last time i changed the fluid also (last week).
    Truck has 25000 on it,but the tranny was replaced at 2200 miles in June 02'

Driving conditions:
    Spring through fall: 3 days a week 16' Landscape trailer w/3 mowers.
    Friday's and Sat.'s 26' Enclosed Haulmark (approx 400 miles each weekend)

Winter: plowing my a@@ off........
  2. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I think there is no such thing as too often so go with what you are comfortable with
  3. GM-GUY

GM-GUY Junior Member
    from Mass

1st Don't forget to swap the ring magnet to the new filter - I've almost forgotten once or twice. :eek:

Try this link:

There is a service manual that tells you every thing you need to know.

In a nut shell:

Every time you drain the fluid you should change the spin on.
    For you (severe vocation), every 25K miles (after the first 5K initial change) unless using transyd TES295 or equiv., then at 50K.

The internal (sump) filter is permanant unless overhauled.

Drain plug is 26+/-4 ft lbs and the spin on is 1 full turn after contact.

Hope this helps....
  4. Earthscapes

from WNY

What ring magnet ?????????????? oh no
  5. Earthscapes

from WNY

oops hit the button by mistake.
    GM-Guy thanks for the info

I think i may need another tranny very soon.... I was plowing today and the thing was slippin like crazy in reverse and every time i came to a red light or stop sign it would slam and clunk very loudly into first gear.
  6. Maverick

Maverick Senior Member

I changed the filter after the first 5,000 miles and do a 100% tranny flush every 25,000 and filter. Still got the stock pan and am still using Dextron III. I am loaded up 20-30K GVW almost daily and plowed all last winter and its still doing good at 111,000 miles. Its only 20 months old.