1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Allison # 2 (this is bull)

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Earthscapes, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

Ok it happened again... went out warmed her up stuck it in reverse and boom thats all she wrote.

That is number 2 in 8 months. first one blew at 2,167,,,this one at 25,363. thankgod i have backup trucks.

Is there anyone i can scream at nicely,,besides my dealer (who is my best friend) ??

wnyPat-saw u today i waved but was in my wifes car ,,so you would needed to look down lol (picked them up today)

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Call the 800# listed in the back of your owners manual for customer assistance. They can also get your area service rep. out for a nice little talk:)

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Your not alone,I seen one on the hook this week,nice duramax/allison getting towed in by an F550,you can scream at me,if it helps any.if it were my truck Id sell it,even though It may cost $$,I cant be having unreliable trucks in my fleet.Id make it clear to your dealer that this is strike 2 ,strike 3 you expect a new truck,since they obvoiusly cannot fix this one in a timely manner.

4. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

isnt there something called the lemon law? you might want to check into that. my brother has a duramax with the allison and has had zero problems. we even took it on a road trip to florida for thanksgiving in 2002 no problems at all. actually it was an awesome ride quiet and had great pick up with five people and a bed full of cargo. it is a crew cab.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I don't think that the lemon law applies to commercial registered trucks.It should if it can't perform for what is was inteded for.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

That really sucks to hear. That tranny is a $2300 option and its not even as good as the standard auto tranny? Sorry to hear your problem Earthscapes. Mike

7. Earthscapes

from WNY

John i can't scream at you :drinkup:

Yeah i think your right about the lemon law,but i'm going to check into it a little more.
    Monday morning i'll be on the phone with somebody

Get this the dealer said they would send over my "rental" pontiac sunfire on monday morning......how much snow can i plow with that??

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Earthscapes,we got guys on here that want to plow with unibody grand cherokees,and 2wd 1500's,why not a sunfire:drinkup: . Break out the MIG welder,and get a 12 pack,by midnight the sunfire should be ready to plow.:D .Hey id rather plow with a fwd sunfire than a truck with a blown tranny.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

What do you mean, you cant put a Boss 9'2" V on a Sunfire?? Are you sure about this?? What if I throw the in-laws in the trunk for some added ballast??? How about if its the GT model with the wing on the back? :confused: Mike

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

Stay away from the GT model.The rear wing interferes with mounting a tailgate salter and the extra weight will put you over the GVWR with the plow on. :D

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Seriously though,back to the Allison.All vehicles will have there fair share of problems.The first tranny must have had a major defect to go that quick.The mileage on the second one is still pretty low,but stuff does happen.Did the dealer repair or rebuild the first trans ? or was it a complete replacement ? I would also check around some on the net and find out what could be causing some of these failures and what can be done to rectify them.This time I would make sure it's a factory new replacement,with any or all updates applied to it.Maybe it will last a little longer.

12. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Good points. :D :D Mike :drinkup:

13. Earthscapes

from WNY

wlydman,,,,complete replacement....thats what takes so long for it to get fixed..... they told me it takes 3-4 days for it to come in and 1 day to r&r it and then they like to drive it for it a day. they told me i should see it back a week from monday.....which stinks cause we got 6" last nite,,,calling for 6" tonite (3" down right now)and 4" tomorrow.

My backup is a meyers 7 1/2' on a 93 chevy 2500 l/b ext cab. I am thinking about trading my 02 for 3 or 4 90-94's chevy 2500's.

As of this post we spent the last 5 hrs. in the shop ripping apart the western and trying to figure out why it won't move. I just spent $400 on it last week......so when it rains it pours. i'm in need of some sleep cya all later

14. long0

long0 Senior Member

I've had similar problems.
    At 5K I lost the transmission
    At 7.4K it went again -

I checked into the lemon law, and GM have themselves covered very well.
    The Allison Transmission is built by Allison, at there plant. They then ship them to GM, where they are installed. Due to this, GM has covered themselves from the lemon law by having the transmission built by a third party. They claim no responsibility for the transmission unless it was an installation error. My lawyer looked into this in great depth because of my truck going through two transmission within 7,400 miles.

Earthscapes,
    I think you might want to check with another dealer. Both times my tranny was replaced, it took the dealer less than a day and a half, including shipment of the new replacement. Sounds kinda odd that some no name little shop in the mountains of Colo can get a tranny faster than a shop back east.

Andy

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Excellent point longO

When I worked at a dealer,most warehouse stocked parts,were available same day,or next morning.If it had to come out of another warehouse it was next day air dropped at the depot ready for pickup the next day.This was top priority when a vehicle was down,or dangerous to drive.

If you push them,maybe they will get started on the re&re so less work to do when the trans arrives.