1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All your snow plowing lighting questions ANSWERED!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Oct 24, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

tada!!!!!!!!!

100_0061s.jpg

3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

I put this setup on both of my trucks.... its very nice to have

100_0059s.jpg

4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Ubolts for mounting!!!

100_0060s.jpg

5. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Thats way sweet. How much was the rack itself? Looks very easy to build one (could even customize it a little if you wanted but looks like a great design as is).

I'm gettin me an itch to build one... thank you very much for posting the pics. Enjoy!

6. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Nice set up, but why so many lights going backwards?? Here is what I have done, this is the second truck that I have used this set-up on. I have found that the less things you bolt to or driil holes to mount to the better. The more times you damage(either drilling, or wires rubbing etc.) the factory finish the quicker it will rust. We made the mounting brackets ourselves using aluminum and then drill & tap them right to the rack. We also rout the cables right in the tube of the rack.

lite bar.jpg

7. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I always give a shot of Cold Galvanizing compound whenever I drill.;) [​IMG]

8. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Too many lights can draw a lot of power from your electrical system. Many plowers are actually turning their headlights off when they plow as long as there is enough ambient light.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

ill vouch for that....i have a single strobe on the roof, led dash mount, and a satellite radio. if im plowing at night ill max the alternator out.

10. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Guilty. :cool:

11. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Those tractor lights claim to draw a little less than 2 amps a piece.

I have a couple myself. They are only 12.99 at awdirect.

Just sayin.

Nice setup BJK

12. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Yeah those tractor lights claim to draw very little amps, and the rotator drains less than a strobe! I think I'll be safe :drinkup:

The backrack cost me around $250 (I think) from truckspecialties.com

All the lights shooting back works great! Especially b/c theres a slight factory tint on the rear windows, but those bad boys light up everything behind me!

13. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

14. Big Dog D

Are you sure about your figures on the electrical? I was always under the imperssion that the strobes use less juice because of their short duration and that they didn't have a motor to draw constantly for the rotator motors etc. I used to run the Grote rotators with the same bulbs as the tractor lights as well as a Code3 2 beam rotator and always had a hard time keeping the batteries up even with a hydraulic driven plow set-up?:nono:

15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Don't you ever back up at night?

Looks good bigjeeping. Are you happy with the construction of the rubber utility lights? Sometimes different manufacturers are WAY different in quality.

Also, a strobe of any type will draw WAY less than anything halogen with rotators (motors). You should be fine though.

Todays 100-150 amp alternators handle aux lights just fine. Especially if you have dual batteries.

Just so you know....the BACK-RACK logo is just a sticker....they peel right off!

Unless a company sponsors me, all advertising is promptly removed.

16. Big Dog D

I back up all the time,but I don't need 5 million candlepower to do it!!! All you need is two of those lights, my suggestion would be to mount them lower like on the truck frame. When they are mounted up there they cast a long shadow by shinning across the back of the bed.

17. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

With a lack of light in the bed, the two pointing straight back are an excellent addition to the 3rd brakelight utility bed light. The two angled out are at an EXCELLENT angle for seeing whats BESIDE the truck. There will be no shadows cast by these.

For backing up,....yes under the bumper ones should be used as well.

How do you get 5 million candlepower? I count 4 x 1,000CP= 4,000CP and 4 x 3.9 amps = 15.6 total amps.

18. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Interesting.. I was under the impression strobes sucked the most juice out of Led's, rotators, and strobes.

I'm satisfied with the tractor lights.. they're heavy duty, bright, inexpensive, and come with nice mounting brackets. I installed 8 of those tractors lights and 2 of the rotators between my two trucks. Took well OVER 10 hours! Be prepared for plenty of trips to radio shack when you run out of wire, fuses, connectors, etc! Not to mention I did it all by myself, with ONE HAND (see pic below)

Left hand is out of commision, cut my tendon with some PAPER SCISSORS about 6 weeks ago... should be fully rehabilitated in another 2 weeks.

100_0043m.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005