1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

all you pusher pros---

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by elite1msmith, Nov 17, 2008.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i got a 8 foot diamond trip edge plow , that i made into a push box

it has to plow a fairly big lot, and will have a truck to help it out also , kept on site

what size machine do i need to get to effectivley push snow with it.... im looking at a deere 8875, which has a lift capacity of 2300 and i fot get the operating weight

this machine is alittle older, but not too bad... the main thing im woried about is the pushing power, and also the fact that its a 2 speed. the price is right , but it doesnt have a cab door, or heat, so addtional money would have to be spent...

I can find a few that are nicer with heat/cab ...but they are 1 speed, and 1800 lift

what do you guys think? whats the bare min size machine that i need to effectivly pushg an 8 foot pusher a long distance?

and would you buy the 8875? or go smaller , and a little newer/nicer?

2. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I would lean towards the 2 speed. Heat is a must. As far as pushing snow when the box is full you will lose traction and spin. It depends on how far you will push.

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

thanks any idea abou the size? or a good machine recomendation? my only experiance with skids is buying new machines, and running jsut regular staight blades on them , never had a pusher before

as for the heat...well we will see , its not my butt in the thing , thats for sure

4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

It really doesn't matter what a machine can lift when using a box, its more the weight of the machine and its momentum.

You will be fine with that deere.

J.

5. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

??????????????

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  6. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

If you can put heat in the skid, even with out a cab, it will help some. Put some Plexiglas over the left and right sides. If you floor is cut out where your bucket control pedals are, you might want to put something there to keep the snow out. The snow could get up in the pedal links and freeze and cause problems. Look at after market heaters maybe at a farm supply store. I looked for my skid, but the size of a after market heater was a problem. I got my heater from Cab Depot. Had to cut metal behind the seat to the engine compartment. Did not like doing this but I have heat.

7. big pusher

big pusher Senior Member
    from ohio

Elite I am not all that familiar with Deere skid loaders but I think you will need close to 60+hp to efficiently run a 8 footer. The fact that it is a 2-speed is a huge plus. I know personally i will never own another single speed.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

the machine has glass on all sides, just no door. I was looking at Cab depot , for a door and heater, how well does that heater work?

At some point , i will install it, just not first on my list of things to do. They guys all get paid well, and if a guy can stand out in the cold blowing , and shoveling...then surley a guy can sit in a 3/4 enclosed cab and drive a machine. If he doesnt like it , i have lots of qualified operators to take his spot. But long term , yes it will have a door and heat

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

64 hp/61 hp

Performance
    SAEoperatingload 2352 lb (1068 kg)
    Breakout force (bucket) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. 5203 lb (2362 kg)
    Breakout force (boom) 6284 lb (2853 kg)
    Ground speed in low 0-7.6mph(0-12.2kmlh)
    Groundspeedinhigh 0-12.1mph(0-19.6km1h)
    Axletorque 6332ft-lb(8586Nom)
    Operating weight 7004 lb (3177 kg)

10. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

thats is about the same as my JD250/320 hp wise but quite bit heavier and they handle a 8' box so that 8875 should do well with it:drinkup:

11. elite1msmith

from chicago

thanks for your input-

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

The cab depot heaters works OK, have to run the fan on high. I made a cap on one end of the heater and ran two - 2 inch hoses. One to the door glass and one to the area where my feet are.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My 320 pushes an 8ft fine, so your s will do probably better then fine.

14. elite1msmith

from chicago

i drove it and cut the deal for it today , 1400 hrs on it , and recently had the hydros rebuilt... and let me tell you they are strong.

8,200 with tax, and he thinks he has a door that he can give me

15. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Post up some pics.....sounds like you got a sweet deal!

16. elite1msmith

from chicago

so get this guys ,

I talked them into a free cab door, i told them give me any thing they got laying around , and i can fab it up to work

turns out , its a door that fits this machine...it needs a new hinge, thats it

wiper motor works, I didnt reallize that it even had heat. I replaced a switch , removed the heat valve...and bingo i got super warm heat after 10 mins of run time...i had to crack the window open.

we ran pvc pipe in the celling, to redirrect air flow, and insulated all the panels,...then put up a peace of sheet metal to cover it all so it looks stock ... so now i have moveable vents....and defrost. tomarrow i think im gonna add a vent by my feet, and make a panel to cover the foot petal area up a little better

17. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

236B with protect 8' ... no problems here. Last year we ran a 6 acre lot with truck in 2.5 hrs. This year is a 3.5 acre lot all by itself.

18. 4wydnr

4wydnr Senior Member
    from N. IL

I mounted a box heater on the floor between the pedals on our old bobcat and it worked great. It was better than the heater in the New Holland we have now. With the heater mounted on the floor it would keep my feet warm and since heat rises it kept the rest of the cab nice too.

19. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

My 90XT has factory heat and ac. It works so well, you can plow in t-shirt and you have to crack the side windows not much, just a hair.