1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All wheel Steering

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jspivxl102, Feb 16, 2003.

1. jspivxl102

jspivxl102 Member

The new Silverado has 4 wheel steering. How beneficial is this? I just don't really see the benefit to it.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Welcome to plowsite.

One of the features of this site is the ability to use the search feature and look up past topics. Many of the questions you are asking have been touched on and discussed. You have brought up past ideas already so please continue to search for past threads.
  3. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

It would be good for the soccer mom getting into a parking space at the mall. For a work or plow truck, it's one more thing to break. It's a gimmick to get people's attention and sell trucks. Having the feature available will probably sell many more trucks than the ones that actually have the 4-wheel steering.
  4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

The only problem I see is, you can only get it in half ton. As far as plowing, IMO I think it would work great. You could make sharper corners, tighter turns, etc.

As far as something to break, How often does the front end of the truck break? There is less moving parts it the rear than the front.
  5. TMC

TMC Junior Member
    from CT

According to Edmunds.com, the only Silverado that has Qudrasteer is the 1500HD, 4 door model. With this wheelbase, it would probably need it.
  6. 68bullit

68bullit Member

i buy most wheel and off road books and they have been testing both a 4 door 3/4 ton and one ton suburban 4 wheel steer trucks
  7. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

ITS good to see that they are making heavy duty 4 wheel steer trucks they will be great plow machines
  8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Don't see the benefit of a tighter turning radius?!

I'm glad you have all the straight, wide-open sites, lol.

A tighter turning radius helps of drmatically in tight areas, pulling out around docks, between cars, residential, condos, etc, etc.

I look forward to it being an option on a greater variety of trucks.
  9. KLC99

KLC99 Senior Member

I can see a lot of use for this when plowing around a bend-the back tires will turn out and that pesky inside back tire won't mess up the nice clean edge. My only solution now is (in 2wd) spinning the back tires and swinging out around the bend.