1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ALL-WHEEL STEER? anyone have one

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by powerjoke, Dec 28, 2007.

1. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am just about "on foot" LOL, i sold 2 plowtrucks and i ordered a new one today but in the mean time i have a spare all-wheel steer 1/2t and 2 spare plows and i happen to have a spare wounting kit for a lil' meyer so........

my Q' is has anyone plowed with one? the thing will turn sharper than a S-10 (NO B/S)

any input?

we also have a spare 4dr half ton but it's a little too nice just to plow with for a couple of months, and my ol' man probably wouldn't like walkin either LOL

2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've always wanted to see one set up that way. I have a vid clip from Delphi here when they were new somewhere on the old computer that for about 2 seconds showed a quadrasteer plowing tight cul-de-sac... other than that never seen one plow.

Shame they discontinued the option. I really don't think anyone gave it much of a chance.

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

There was a guy around here a few years back that had a 7'6" Western on one. I saw him plow with it once it seemed to do just fine, never talked to him though! If I happen to see him around I will ask him and let ya know!

4. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Quad steer is an amazing fearture, my Street car actully has it, and ive never dumped it yet.....(99 3000GT VR-4).....I think they served well and also added to handleing....but im not very sure how well the feature would work on trucks, ie Weight/towing....alignment issues...

5. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

There is a someone here with a 8.5' fisher V plow on a quad steer. Some one around me has a 2500 version short bed quad steer. I would love to find out who it belongs too.

6. TEX

TEX Senior Member

well they went out as fast as they came in..........

that being said i would worry about parts wearing out or breaking and not finding anyone who has experience working on them. parts will be $$$ also

7. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

they dont come in 3/4 ton versions, only 1500 or 1500hd, i alsmot bought one a while back, ptu a deposit on it and everything, then found some issues with the dealer so i backed away. We also have one here in town that runs a big V blade and it didnt squat at all. Looks sick. Search the board for quadrasteer and you should find the one with the v blade on here, i think it is black

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

The first year out u could get them in the 1500 AND 2500. The 1500hd replaced the 2500 on the later years after chevy went to a 2500hd.

9. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

What are you guys wanting to know about quad steers? I own one with a 7'5" Western on it. It plows great. I can plow as good if not better than a reg.cab short box truck. As for anything breaking, It has been plowed with since new in 2003 and nothing has broke yet. Just the normal u-joint. Other than that I change all my drivetrain fluids every fall. I will try and get some pics and maybe a vid of it for everyone on here.

10. RipT

RipT Senior Member

PowerJoke, There was a guy on this site back in '04 in NH with a Fisher V and was doing resi drives and liked it a lot. Have not heard from him in a while though.

I have an '05 1500HD QS and wanted to make sure I "could" put a plow on it if I needed and was assured it could handle it. Not sure if I will, but nice to know it is an option. No problems with QS or truck so far!

NootDogg.... would be great to see pics and video of your set-up !!

Good Luck

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

to me it seems like over-complication and not enough benefit.

I've never driven one, much less plowed with one but I can think of ONE instance where it would be helpful, I used to plow a crescent shaped driveway that was only one car wide, so maybe 8 or 9 feet between Belgian blocks, and it was a pretty tight curve. The rear steer would probably have helped in this situation because even when I used a Jeep there it was pretty tight.

One concern I'd have would be that I would think the the back end would want to jump a curb when you were plowing close to it and then try to turn away from it.

Overall, I think it's a novel thing and an impressive feat of engineering but it's also a lot more pieces to potentially break.

-Jer

12. NootDogg

NootDogg Senior Member
    from WI

I didn't forget about you guys. I have been really busy lately. I am going up north this weekend and I will try and remember the camera. So wath for it early next week.

13. RipT

RipT Senior Member

Jer, Yes it is more pieces to possibly go wrong, and I probably would not have bought it primarily as a plow truck. It does turn much sharper than a regular truck, but I would most likely not put a plow on a full crew/standard box with out it though.

You do have to be aware of what the back end will do in 4WS mode, and I do momentarily put it in 2WS mode via the dash switch for that very reason. Overall no problems and has been nice to have.