1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All WalMart service providers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4700dan, Oct 28, 2009.

1. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Any one that did or does sevice any WalMart location and you have been told USM will be servicing the account you may want to double check with your contacts at that location if they were told in a letter from corprate about the changebecause, we sevice WalMarts and USM called each location to tell them of the change and my contacts told them to "blank off" they are keeping us. My contacts said they are not going to change untill they get it in writting from corprate about changing to USM so anyone else may want to do the same I think USM is trying to pull SH**.
  2. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

I wouldn't put it past them, most corporations regardless to easier accounting, want service providers to compete for services.
  3. jrc5049

jrc5049 Member
    from pa

Every other day i get a call from USM (15 times , different person everytime, i swear to god, what Bureaucratic BS) claiming they have been awarded my local walmart contract and i tell them, you wish you did. My store has directed me to continue to service the account untill the end of the season and turn bills in as i have done in the past. They are dumb founded everytime i tell them that but thats what i have been told, and i know several other walmarts around mine where walmart has told their current plow service the same thing. Its too late in the season for this flip flopping of service. But every other day i get a call from USM wanting me to put a bid in with them for my walmart and i tell them No everytime, not untill i am told by walmart that i am done. then and only then will i talk to USM. They are trying to get me on board now so they can start making my off my local walmart this winter, and not have to wait until next season. Not going to happen, I will not submit till them, yet....
  4. jrc5049

jrc5049 Member
    from pa

And why does USM call me claiming they have the contract for my Walmart and they dont? I think my manager would know... after all its his bosses that told him to keep using me. so i ask why are they allowed to play these games and call me and tell me this crap? Trying to fool me into signing up with them now.. its such BS and it makes me so mad. I told my manager what they do and he has a hard time believing it himself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2009
  5. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

WOW, so familiar!!!!! USM told me the same I ask them to provide documents that states they have the legal right to negotiate a contract with me for walmart corp! USM was dumb founded and said yeah we have the right, I said show me!!? Guess what, Nothing!!!!!! Talk to my local manager and has said the same thing as all of you were staying with you, corp says stay with your local provider if you are happy and the cost are in line. QUOTE" we will not jeopardize the safety of ours associates or customers over this" USM had the balls to tell me they have bids 20G less than me to do this store!! HA HA HA. I said great go for it! it's egg on your face when the manager calls and ask where the f... did you find these guys and corp. walmart starts asking USM who's best interest did you look out for?
    At this point I choose not to work for USM reading there fine print shows me they are out to screw the contractor for every penny they can, it's so obvious within the contract. To all contractors that currently work and are approved contractors for sams or walmart contact your store BEFORE you sign any document from USM. you will be glad for the hesitation, I think between all the contractors saying NO to USM and the Managers and districts managers and regionals second guessing the screw job of USM we might actually be making head way! Keep up the steam people. :gunsfiring:USM
  6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

USM is just playing a game. IF they tie you the contractor up then your not allowed to bid on the account or they will come after you. They then turn to walmart and say no one wants to plow for you AND we already have these low ball prices based on contractors low balling each other assuming USM is being "honest".

It's a game:angry:
  7. jrc5049

jrc5049 Member
    from pa

You know i think if home office found out what USM is doing, calling service providers and basically lying to them, they would be mighty pissed off, Home office has directed stores with current service providers that you are happy with continue to use them. Yet USM calls and trys to trick you into signing up with them immediatly by telling you they have your contract so they can start making money off you NOW, that way they dont have to wait till next winter (if they are around that long). Any way you cut it, what USM has been doing in regard to us current service providers is unethical, i mean they are lying in hopes of tricking us into signing with them now. And if i know one thing about Walmart it is that they are BIGGG on Ethics!!!!!!!! my manager isnt happy about it, and i bet home office would be pissed if they knew what USM is doing behind their backs..
  8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Other threads show this to be true... too many guys who HAVE a walmart say their managers have called corporate and there is no national contract.

Like said above, if you take the bait, you are locked up with USM and can't compete -USM WINS.
    If you believe their game, you don't bother bidding... less competition -USM WINS.

Here is a little story about the mindset of people who operate this way:

I once sold to grocery stores for a local food distributor, who had a new GM.

He told me and another rep that the head manager for this department agreed to try a few cases of high-end products in about 25 stores... had them pulled in the warehouse for us to deliver.

The store managers were clueless when I walked in with the stuff. I was told to say that "so and so agreed to bring this in to your department". They reluctantly accepted the product... based on a lie that I was unaware I was telling.

As it turns out, the GM was a bold faced you know what, and his whole intention of becoming the GM was to sell the company to a National Competitor. I later found out that sending product into to stores without a real purchase order is known as the worst form of "Jamming". The other form is for a distributor to overstock their inventory on the shelf or backroom.

By doing this, he inflated the companies sales/receivables... making the acquisition more attractive to the national company. He pulled it off... it was a $20 million plus sale which was padding to his resume. I heard he later ran into legal trouble over this.

Bottom line is that "fat-cats" scr*w with industries at will, simply for personal gain. They have no passion for the industry, only the money. They will follow the money from industry to industry and wreck livelyhoods along the way.

Sorry for the rant!
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

So screw USM, phone WM headquarters and tell them what is going on. If you aren't a Contractor for WM who cares, do it anyway, if everyone on this site phoned WM headquarters and complained about what is going on, WM would tell USM to piss off
  10. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

I called USM the other day to see about our local Walmart (not to bid). Just to try and get some info. So I called and after talking to this lady she said they only won Walmarts where the contract were up. And she was going to check to see if my local Walmarts was up and she would get back to me in 4 weeks. If it is hopefuuly they get someone fast we already had 4+"
  11. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Scoop on WalMarts

WalMart does not have any contract with USM, USM is trying to get a national contract with WalMart but they are out contacting every store to find out who is currently servicing the account, then USM is then taking those numbers the contractors give them taking off 15-20% and telling the contractor that if they want this account they will have to do it for the dicounted amount. Then USM will take all of the discounted bids turn in a price to WalMart after they added 10-15% to the contractors bid and show to WalMart that if they were to use them they could save WalMart 5-10% off of there current contractors price. Rmember this USM if you sign on with them 1) you are F@@ked 2) they will only pay you when the season is over so you will see your money no earlier than June, 3) the reason for this is so if WalMart says there was any damage or if WalMart called USM more than 2 times requesting service they will take this out of your money USM's bylaws. Oh buy the way USM is making 5-10% off of you plus they are making interest off of all your money they are investing while you struggle to pay your bills with no money.
    Oh and this is fact just found out the scoop today.
  12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

13. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

4700dan, you are correct. To add to your statement they will also take 4%after you have made $10,000.00, here the exact lingo on part of their contract.

2. Billing and Payment Procedures: Your billing procedures will vary by location depending on whether you are paid by event or by
    season for that location. Pricing for either event or seasonal locations will be provided on separate schedule(s) to this Agreement.
    (i) Event Pricing Procedures:
    (a) Work Orders. You are required to submit a signed work order (if applicable) and an invoice in order to receive
    payment. Immediate submission of signed work orders and invoices should follow every completed Service. Invoices
    and work orders must be received within 10 days from the date of Service.
    (b) Integrated Voice Recognition (IVR). If applicable, you must follow the IVR procedures after you have
    completed each Service to receive payment.
    (ii) Seasonal Pricing Procedures: You are required to submit an invoice to receive payment. You must invoice us for the
    agreed upon amount that corresponds to each payment period.
    Invoices received after the designated time frame may result in a substantial delay in payment. Any untimely submission of an invoice that
    prevents us from billing or collecting from our customer will result in no payment for the Services provided. We will send payment to
    you 30 days after the date that we receive and process your invoice (“Payment Period”) so long as: (i) we receive your invoice; (ii) we
    receive a signed work order within the designated time frame (if applicable); (iii) you have properly used the IVR procedures after each
    Service (if applicable); (iv) we have received your insurance certificate demonstrating the required coverage and additional insured language;
    and (v) we have verified that you have provided Service to our customers satisfaction.
    We are not required to take legal action to enforce customer payments. We are not obligated to pay you until we receive payment from
    our customer for the Services that you provide. You assume the risk of non-payment by our customer for any reason including, without
    limitation, our customer’s bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, financial distress, nonperformance, dissatisfaction with services, or any
    other reason in or out of our control. In no instance may you, your officers, shareholders, employees, contractors, or agents seek to collect
    payment from our customers.
    3. Rapid Payment Program: At your request we may, but are not obligated to pay you all or a portion of the amount invoiced prior to
    the expiration of the Payment Period (“Rapid Payment”). In consideration of the Rapid Payment, we may discount the amount advanced to
    you by up to 5%.
    4. Automatic Rebate Program: If your business with us grows to the level that we have paid you at least $10,000 in any twelve month
    period, then we may automatically discount payments to you by 4% of the total amount of your invoice (“Automatic Rebate Program”). You
    shall not be placed in the Automatic Rebate Program for at least six months from the date that you first begin Services. Example of
    Automatic Rebate Program, provided for illustration purpose only: Double A+ Services, Inc. signs a contract and begins Services at one USM
    customer location in January. Double A+ grows its business with USM and by August has been paid $25,000. In
    2008 exterior maintenance subcontractor agreement _______________
    - 2 -
    September, Double A+ submits an invoice for $1,000. Because Double A+ has been paid at least $10,000 in a twelve month period, and
    because six months have passed since Double A+ commenced Services, USM may discount payments to Double A+ by 4%.
    Therefore, the payment to Double A+ on September’s $1,000 invoice will be $960

Copied directly from their crap and I mean CRAP! Why in the world would anyone agree to these terms? and that is just 1 item. :gunsfiring:USM
  14. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Hope they provide lube with that contract.....
  15. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That is just a rat's nest.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Hmmm, ethics and WalMart, that's a new one for me.
  17. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

So, who actually has signed on to work for USM? I'm assuming that contractors that do have limited options (ie. sign on or go under) and probably did not realize what they were getting into? Lower prices mean nothing if the job isn't completed. If USM has no labor pool, then they fail,correct? Sounds simple in theory, although probably not realistic.
  18. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

That is their contract. I have a copy here.

The payment issue is my biggest problem with it.

I dont mind jumping through the paperwork hoops.....Thats fine.

But the part about not getting paid if the customer doesnt pay them is a HUGE problem.

Suppose you do a great job, no complaints, no problems.

For some reason out of your control, maybe problems somewhere else in the country, Walmart holds payment to USM. You;re stuck.

The reason you subcontract and work at a discount is in exchange for timely payment and not having to chase your money.

USM is YOUR CUSTOMER. Not walmart. You dont work for walmart you work for USM.

So if USM forgets to bill, bills late, takes months to resolve a dispute, or whatever.......You hold your hand on your ass.

THAT I have a problem with.
  19. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i get these emails of people at walmart from my wife every day...i almost can't believe they're real ..:dizzy: