1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All solenoids the same?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by mrwolf, Dec 15, 2013.

1. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

I've done some searching on this subject. Seems plow solenoids are different than standard auto solenoids? "Negative to excite" was the term. We'll in a pinch he guy at the auto parts store said an S63P would work, an old ford solenoid? It did work. Anyway my main question is are all or most plow solenoids the same? Meyer, boss, sno way, western etc.

Just curios.

Z

2. upplowin

upplowin Member
    from UP/MI

I've used western & boss solenoids on my western ultra mount, I used the boss cuz that's what they put on it at the shop...they sold boss plows, and put it on cuz what they had on hand...no difference in operation. Don't know about snow way or any others...but I think they all work pretty much the same

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Under advice from B&B,I'm replacing my old Boss solenoid with a Trombetta from their bear line.Murcal is the vendor.Supposed to be the cat's azz of solenoids.

4. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

Negative to excite suggests that the ground is supplied to the small terminal instead of 12V to activate the solenoid. Googling this it shows older westerns used this type of solenoid, which must get 12v power to the coil internally from the battery cable post. Also the mounting bracket would have to be isolated, where a traditional solenoid has the coil grounded through the mounting.

So if you have an old western that might be what you need and a normal one would not work without rewiring your control side.

Otherwise, AFAIK all present day solenoids would be 12v positive to excite and would all be very similar in amperage and duty cycle ratings, and likely rated for higher duty cycle than a standard auto starter solenoid, but one of those will work in a pinch too.

5. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Well the one in question was an old meyer but the s63p is working fine. It grounds to the chassis. The small post wire feeds it 12 volts and there is a ground wire from the controller harness as well that bolts to the solenoid mounting bolt. So I guess that's a standard solenoid? However I did try an old sno way solenoid and it didn't work but it could very well be bad. I am not sure how to test it.

Thanks for all the replies. Love learning more about equipment and repairs!

Z

6. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Anything meyer that is e46 and newer is guaranteed to be a positive to excite coil. Iirc, the u13 was negative. Not sure about the e45

7. mrwolf

mrwolf Senior Member

Awesome. Thanks all. Learning has occurred!

Z

8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

As is obvious by this point in this thread... depends on the plow. Just make sure that if you're replacing it, you replace it with something that will work for the wiring you have, and can manage the current drawn by your plow motor. One of my plows is running a starter solenoid from a Yamaha outboard motor (I salvaged a pair that got hurricane damaged, made one good engine out of the two, and had some spare parts after).