1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All season truck body

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vis, Mar 22, 2011.

1. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Any one have an all season spreader/dump combo on a smaller truck such as a F550? I am interested in the one by Henderson that spreads out the back and has the conveyor in the middle of the body...

Any one used one of this size have any feedback?

It would be so nice to have a usable dump truck all winter with out having to pull a sander out every time..

If the body requires central hydraulics does that mean the truck must be manual shift??

2. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Doesn't have to be a manual get a clutch pump by Muncie power so hydraulics run off of engine. That body I believe my local city has a bunch of them on F550's from Henderson, expensive but they make good products we have their spreaders and 2 stainless dump bodies too. Also, for what it is worth I'd get stainless not mild steel worth the money in long run.

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have one from Tarrant on a F550. Also just bought an OBS F350 with an Everest one one it. They both lift the inner bed to the driver side and convey forward. They spread in front of the rear tires.

Mine are both diesel auto 4wds with clutch pump central hydraulics. We have not used the F350 but on the 550 we have the drag motor turned way down as even at idle it moves pretty fast. The cylinders are all a good speed not slow but not shaking the truck apart either. They also control the plows.

The best thing about them is that they spread in the middle of the truck. This is nice because in forward or reverse you can spread material to give yourself traction. The drawback with this is you have to keep up on cleaning around the truck frame etc. Same with the body. The 550 is stainless but you still have to get up under it to wash the chain and bearings. The 350 has a steel body and will need some patching due to rust.

Having the dump all season is nice. We had to get loads of stone over the winter and it was nice not unloading a v-box. Also load sits lower in truck. Easier to dump out material at end of event and clear any jams. Get the top screens for it. The only downside is the weight of the body. You will lose some capacity in terms of weight. This is not a worry during the winter for us (all the trucks seem to be overweight already) but in the summer I have a little over a 1/2 ton less capacity on the 550 then a similiar normal dump. I know the 350 will barely be able to legally carry a ton. If you haul a lot of heavy material this may be a concern for you. With us hauling mostly mulch and occassional topsoil its less of an issue.

Let me know if I can answer anything else.

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

Would you recommend doing that body on a 350 again, or would you go back to a v box? I also want an all season for that purpose. I know some people on the site are all over the tailgate spreaders, but I would never want to drive with the body up.

5. Flipper

from CT

I bought it like that used an abused. It was a former municipal truck up in VT. It also has provisions for a wing. You should see all the levers and hoses in the cab. Not sure long term what I am goint to do with it. It would be way overweight fully set up.

The price was right and I figured I can get something out of it even in parts.

I would definately do the F550 again. Its a fair expense but if you consider central hydraulics, a stainless bed and a spreader to maintain I believe you actually come out ahead.

I have actually toyed with the idea of mounting a 8ft V-box reveresed in a 9ft dump bed with a door at front of bed and then making a chute and spinner hang attached to truck frame so that I could get it to spread under the truck in the same matter.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Id actually be interested in the newer models that discharge out the center/rear of the truck on to a removable spinner.....kind of like a tailgate spreader except there is a conveyor chain in the middle of the body....no need to drive with body up..

alot of our sanding is backing into areas to sand and the front discharge would not be ideal..

any one have one of these type bodies? I would definitally get the all stainless model...on an automatic f550.

7. Flipper

from CT

I have seen those, I think Airflo makes one, but have not used them. Based on how central hydraulic spreaders work, I think it would be a good option to replace a V-box.

8. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

Thinking of something along these lines.... http://www.hendersontruckequipment.com/images/brochures/HP-004_MuniBody-III.pdf

available with manual controls (spinner/conveyor speed control - independent of truck motion)

Stainless steel construction-

Would be a slick set up- 550 could probably take 4-5 yds of salt with this body and not be overloaded. not to mention no sander engine to deal with and converting from dump to spreader is much easier....

waiting for a price quote..

9. Flipper

from CT

That's pretty slick, it can be optioned to go both towards the front or the rear from looking at it. Let us know what price you get and what they say it weighs. Unless I missed something I did not see the wieght. I imagine that would be nice for conveying material into wheelbarrows year round.

10. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

It looks that way...still waiting for price.

They make 2 versions...one has 35 degree sloped sides and the other has 22 degree sloped sides. he said the 22 degree is for mostly salt applns...35 deg sides are needed for sand to flow nicely.

they have a reversible conveyor option so you can spread on the drivers side, or out the back. For us i think the rear mount is best as most of our work is parking lots and condos where we need to back into loading docks, driveways etc....

Sounds like a very handy tool year round....I don't think i would take it on landscape jobs where were dumping boulders into the trucks with the skid steers... but for topsoil, sand, mulch etc it looks like it would be great.

I have all stainless steel rugby bodies on my 550s now, which cost me 18k...and 3 yd air flow stainless vboxes which cost me 6800 last year.......

With all the hydraulics and options on this body I'm going to guess they are around 30k installed.....

Ill let you know..