1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All Salters.....Read this!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snow Picasso, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Hey guys, I recently purchased a new Salt Dogg spreader and used it for the first time the other day. I put a half of a load of salt in it to help me push some snow and it froze solid! My brother told me he read an article on plowsite about a guy who used window washing de-icing solvent in his salt to prevent it from freezing up on him. Well I bought a few gallons of the de-icing solvent and poured it over the whole load. Within 30 minutes I was able to spread the whole load. It completely broke up any clumps! Just thought I would pass this on in case of you guys ever come across this! Good luck!:drinkup::drinkup:

2. TurbDies2500

TurbDies2500 Senior Member

Thanks man. Sounds good.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

As long as you empty the load right away you can just use water. anything liquid above freezing will have the same result, or mix 1 1/2 lbs of calcium chloride or mag. chloride 2 gallon of water and dump it. lots cheaper and just as effective.

4. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Welcome to the "New Century" of snow plowing wesport

That trick has been around for years ( the old pros know it ) Washer fluid has a petro additive in it like antifreeze for your radiator..CAUTION,,,,dont use it where your de-icer will runoff into the nice landscape OR run off into the sewer system....

Darn it :cry: then where can I use it ???

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

LOL

I been waiting for our to frezz up so we could try it lol.

It has EPA all over it, but o-well

6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

wonder what they would think if they caught me ptting deisel fuel on the load?:D sometimes you don't have 10gal of de-icer to waste

EDIT: are you sure it's antifreeze in de-icer i always thought that alcoholl was the ingrediant?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  7. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

This trick also works on tailgate/receiver spreaders as well. It's a lot easier than trying to shovel it all out!!!

8. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

PETRO! You must be old school! Last time I checked the main ingredient was alcohol. Welcome to the "New Millennium" of snow plowing! :sleeping::dizzy: