1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

all over the road

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andyman0291, Oct 23, 2008.

1. andyman0291

andyman0291 Senior Member

when i am driving, my truck seems to sway all over the road. i dont know if it just needs a front end alignment, or if the ball joints are bad? anybody have any ideas? i dont feel like paying the $85 diagnostic fee for nothing. thanks

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of truck do u have? I work at a frt end/ allignment shop

3. andyman0291

its a 2001 f250 v10 crew cab

4. brad96z28

I would definitly make sure the track bar / track bar bushings are not worn out and the bolts are tight. It is a common thing to wear and give u the complaint u have. Also smart to have the frt end cked for any other problems such as tie rod ball joint wear and poss wheel bearing play. We dont really even charge to ck them If we are gona line it up anyway. Find a good reputable place to ck it out.

5. andyman0291

is there anything that i can do on my own??

6. brad96z28

U tell me? Not trying to sound like a ^$!%. But do u know how to ck for play in a frt end.
    Not Something u want to leave to chance If it seems to be all over the road best to have someone that really knows there stuff look at it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  7. brad96z28

But u could ck the track bar bolts to make sure there tight. To ck if the bar has play its best to have 2 people.

8. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Jack the truck up so the tires are about 3-4" off the ground take a large pry bar and place it under the wheel and lift up and down on the pry bar and watch the bail joints (upper and lower) while doing this. There should be no play if there is this could be the cause of some of your problems. My 2002 had the same thing happeing and I had a really bad upper drives side ball joint so I replaced the upper the lower and the axle U joint while I had it all a part. Problem solved.

9. brad96z28

Hope u and he cked the tie rods too!

10. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

It's a Ford!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said. They all did that in the older models. [80's - 90's]

11. brad96z28

Ok great thanks for all the help.

My 97 only had problems when the track bar bracket loosened up. other then that it was perfect AS IT SHOULD BE.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

You can also just grab the tire on the top and bottom and wiggle it to check for play. Then do it side to side and check for play.

13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

This is not a hard thing to do to check for play and yes you can do it yourself. The above two quotes are good advice.

Hydros suggestion is right on, you want to wiggle the wheel at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock as mentions, this will normally indicate a bad wheel bearing. Wiggle the wheel at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and look are any movement in the suspension components. This a really was a mechanic will do to check for warn parts.

My guess though is that you have ball joint issues, check with the method in the first quote above. This is usually the number one reason for a truck wandering on the road.

Take your time and look for everything it's nothing that most people can't handle.

14. brad96z28

How do u suggest he cks the tracking bar everyone forgets to mention.:sleeping:

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Well lets see you could jack the front end up...pull the track bar off and check the bushings...really not that hard....a couple of bolts as you know.

Or you could remove one end of the track part and push on the track bar to check for play in the other bushing and repeat for the other one.

Does that do it for you?

The real question for the OP is how bad the truck is all over the road....any sever vibration and front end moving around like you are scared to death to drive the thing?

This points to a track bar issue. But if it just wonders slightly on the road I would guess ball joints or tie rod ends.

16. andyman0291

its right in the middle of both of what you said. this is going to sound stupid, but im not even sure what the track bar looks like under the truck....

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

In this pic my had is on the track bar....the driver side of it
    [​IMG]

In this pic my hand is on the track bar...passenger side of it
    [​IMG]

I couldn't get a pick of the whole thing.

Next question...if I said the word..."death wobble" is that what your truck feels like sometimes?

18. brad96z28

If they are loose they will show up by turning the wheel back and forth and having someone else watch them for movement. Prying on them with a pry bar works too. How are the frt tires wearing?

19. andyman0291

they have brand new tires, just bought the truck that way. and yes sometimes it does have a death wobble. i looked and the bushings looked old and cracked, how would i replace these? and i really appreciate everyones help.

20. brad96z28

Old and cracked they might be, but are they worn? Have someone start the engine and turn the wheel side to side. If there is any play in them u should see it.