1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All of the 2003+ diesel owners... hows that diesel treating you?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by hoot, Jan 20, 2013.

1. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Since the disaster 6.0... and all of the changes since... has Ford finally gotten their chit together with the diesel?

2. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

We got one of the last 7.3 2003 diesels. 225,000 and still running like a charm.

3. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Yep... the last of the good ones from what I hear lately.

4. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You going to consider one? Maybe a 2013 F450 4x4 diesel crew cab platinum edition?

[​IMG]

5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

2006 6.0 and love it. No issues... Bought new.

6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

My 2003 blew up with 250K. My 2008 with 60K was just in for an oil leak and they ended up pulling the engine and replacing every gasket in the thing. It was still under warranty.

7. Hawkeyestoob

Hawkeyestoob Junior Member

My 2003 6.0 is at 95,000 miles now with nothing beyond normal service and maintenance. It still runs great and knock on wood has not ever given me any real issues.

8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2003 6.0 has 59,000 on it have never touched a wrench to the engine as of yet other than maintainance and service, have to 6.7 2011 F-350 no issues there yet either one has 9,800 miles the other 16,000 miles so far

9. ken643

ken643 Senior Member

2011 6.7 with around 20,000 on it, no issues. oil changes and a fuel filter change thats it

10. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I like my 6.0s. People who bad mouth them are usually those who dont own one and just hear stories.

That being said. I am working on a 7.3 that I am looking forward to having.

I had head gaskets and studs and egr delete done on my '05 Cost me $3,000

The same guy will change an oil pan on a 7.3 for $2,000.

Every motor has it quarks.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

I bad mouth them and never owned one. I drove one. That's about as close I would ever get to owning one. Ford lost their shirt on that motor. It's no secret. Wonder why it no longer exists? Same with the 6.4... see ya later...
    Turbulent times for them. I think Ford bought back something like 50,000 units in the first year. You all know the fiasco don't you? Or are those blue oval glasses a little too dark?

12. 03fordboss

03fordboss Member
    from Iowa

And dodge trucks have no problems:dizzy::dizzy:

13. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

Haha...I was just gonna post that my 6.0 is probably treating me a little better than his tranny or electrical system in his P.O.S. Dodge :laughing:

14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

239k on my 04, 291k on my 05.

15. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Had plenty of problems with my truck. I'm not preaching Dodge at all. She's 8 years old. No electrical problems to speak of. Trans or motor never let me down. Only 128,000 on it though. Biggest problems are front end not holding up to the big tires and the plow. I hear the Fords don't have that issue LOL

Now the 6.o... I remember when they first showed the head design my first comment was... head gasket issue for sure. They sandwiched the thin cast iron head between an aluminum valve train case and the block. Extra long studs to squeeze it all together. When the head gasket goes, the body has to come up off the rails. I'm not telling you anything new. Turbos clogging up and egr clogging. My buddy had constant oil leaks that they never could fix. six leaker.

I'll be honest. I have an oil leak myself that I finally figured out where it is coming from. Top of the gear case.. gasket is leaking.
    I just finished putting $1500 into the front end. Bigger, badder parts.
    Overall my truck has been good to me. 2004 was the last year you could get the Cummins with no EGR and no CAT and it's common rail. Super easy to work on if you like mods. Tons of room under the hood.

I dyno 541/1036

[​IMG]

16. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I am a Ford guy. Had 2 7.3s and now a 6.7. Happy with all of them. I am NOT a Dodge guy but very fond of that particular body style crew cab short bed, especially being white. Very tough looking truck.

17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Why you beating up on an engine that has been discontinured since the end of '07, 6 model years ago now?

And as for the 6.4...1,216 HP 6.4 Ford.

18. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

And the 6.4 is still being made, its the MaxxForce 7...it's no longer in the Ford trucks because of something about the contract and International doesn't provide engines for Ford anymore...

19. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I heard Ford sued Navistar for something around 500 million, maybe that ended the friendship with Ford and International. I think the 6.0 needs to be run. Have a friend with a 06 wrecker 220k+ on the clock, has only had egr trouble. Runs it everyday doing repos'. My brother had an 06 Amarillo, sold it with 67k because it lived at the dealer. Two turbos, injector remapping, and countless other issues but he rarely drove the truck. I will never give up my 7.3, when it finally decides to die I have a spare.

20. hoot

hoot Senior Member
    from SE Pa.

Cummins in Dodge... since 1989. That's a track record.