1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

all new chevy 1500 only takes a fisher homesteader?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by bribrius, Jul 28, 2007.

1. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

guy i know bought a 07 1500 extra cab with 6.5 box. attached his his old fisher minute one to it.

he had a older chevy like mine he traded in on it. i ran his new truck through the fisher ematch and it only comes out with a homsteader plow application. yet the fgvw is 3950 where as mine and his older one was 3925 and matched on the site for up to a 8 1/2 HD. am i missing something here? tried running 07 silverados with eight foot boxes and reg cab too just to get a idea. still only comes out with homesteader application. yet the new chevy's have a higher gfvw. are the new chevys not so great? something is different. he has a rd 7.5 that he put on the truck anyway. figured i check it out and give him some info.

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Its Fisher that makes the decisions on what their plows mount to. The are getting stingier on the 1/2 ton and small trucks. It sucks.

They really need to research and they would find a lot of commercial plowing is done with lighter duty trucks. Driveways, condos, small lots.

I complain about the Homesteader every year. It is a joke of a plow, not even worthy of Dean Fisher's name. Plastic with rubber band trips springs.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The Government limits the weight you can carry, including the mount

Regardless of the demands of the public, Fisher's liability for producing a product exceeding the specified allowances would be incredible. They not only would be open for civil liability but also could face Federal fines and penalties for "knowingly manufacturing and selling a defective product" They could lose any insurance coverage for these products because your insurance doesn't cover criminal acts, and intentional lack of compliance to the federal laws would be considered a criminal act.

Lobby your elected Representatives to repeal the FVMSSA, it will require that to have fisher produce the unit you want.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

That is true but the weight rating hasn't changed. The bottom line is that FISHER is deciding to go away from light duty trucks as plowers except for their Homesteader line.

Other companies continue to produce mounts for plows that weigh similiar to Fishers RD line. They are under the same standards.

5. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Fisher, Western and now Blizzard are the only Plow Manufactures that actually weigh there plows on trucks and certify the applications to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Other manufactures may not care if the plows are to heavy for the trucks or not but I know the Douglas Dynamic Co does. The Homesteader Plow is a Personal Plow not made for commercial applications. and has not been marked as such. An extended cab or crew cab truck what ever brand it is puts more weight on the front end than a regular cab, therefor that extended cab truck does not have as much of a reserve axle capacity and can not scale the additional weight of a full size truck. Ford F150's, Toyota Tundra's along with the GM 1500's have similar concerns when it comes to installing a plow. The best advice I can give you is research before you buy.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's good advice!

7. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Basher: Thanks for agreeing with my advice.
    I know that DD takes these weight requirement's very seriously. Part of the equasion has to do with ballast and also the GVWR. The amount of balast required to scale some plows exceeds the GVWR when they consider fuel, and passengers. I'm sure Fisher, Western and Blizzard would love to be able to scale a plow on all trucks, that way they could sell more of them but like you said they have to follow the rules.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The government dosen't take ballast into the equation. They require all testing to be done in a "factory default" condition. That's why your overdrive comes on with the switch key. Because if it had to be separately engaged it would not be used in fuel mileage testing. The government does not believe we are smart enough to reason these thing out for ourselves.
    This is why DD has the legal page with includes.
    Western Products makes snow and ice control products which are considered motor vehicle equipment. Installer is ultimately responsible for determining and correctly labeling vehicle with addition of snowplow or spreader selections. No product selected and installed shall render inoperative the vehicle's safety compliance.

The last line's the killer, because you "select and install." This is DD's attempt to shift the responsibility to the installing dealer and/or customer. As a dealer you are responsible for installing the proper ballast for the plows you install.
    So even though they say you can install a 8'6" blade, if it contains the codicil " requires 600lbs of ballast" if you install the plow you must install the ballast to limit your liability. Because you need to deliver the truck in a "default operating condition. Then if the customer removes the ballast and plows with out it, and has an accident, hopefully it will remove some of the burden of responsibility from you. Recommending that the customer carry ballast, but not actually installing said ballast leaves you with much greater liability in the event of a lawsuit. Allowing them to leave your shop without the proper ballast installed could be viewed as implied consent to it's none use.

Because (I've used that word a lot) it all comes down to a injury accident. It's not the snowplow customer that will drag you in to court. It's their heirs or the others involved in an incident in which some lawyer claims injures where exasperated and or the accident was a result of the installation of an improperly specified aftermarket product. As a dealer you are held at a higher level of accountability, you're supposed to know better. It's easy to get sued, crossing your t's and doting the i's can help keep you from losing the suit or at least limit your exposure.

To cover your butt you should have the customer sign paperwork that specifies the amount of ballast they need to carry and informs them they must install it EVERYTIME they install the plow.

If a plow you installed is involved in a injury accident you will probably be included in the lawsuit. Be prepared.

Regardless of your loyalty to DD they will not be on your side in a lawsuit. they will cover their butt and you be damned. Nothing againest DD but that's the way of the world.