1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All new 4500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by TurfPlus, Aug 24, 2002.

1. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I was at the body company today and saw the new 4500 and 5500. I'll get a closer look next week since I was pressed for time. Just thought I'd share the pics. Not sure if I like the new design just yet. What do you think?

p8230199.jpg

2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

3. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Since you asked, I don't like the look. Too "boxy".

~Chuck

5. Santa

Santa Junior Member

We ordered ours on 5/2/02, and it just came in to the dealer yesterday. It looks much better with the front appearance pkg.

D.L.

6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Needs more CHROME! Chrome wheels and/or chrome front bumper. I think it has potential, just needs to be dressed up a bit. Mike

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I have seen them not the best design like them over the 2003 pick ups now but still not much room under the hood to get at engine.And no 4x4 yet? Still looks like the got a chevy express van cab and put a nose on it.ONe thing though it has plenty of leg room and cab space.

8. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

I like the way they look. Many of the new design features in these models should be great - especially the extremely tight turning radius for plowing.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Oh wow, you can get plows for those trucks? That would look cool, nice big plow on the front of that truck. What size plow would they get? I'm guessing atleast a 9ft, maybe 10ft would be perfect? Mike

10. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

All from the same database

In that first picture I think there's a Freightliner and an International behind the Chevy. Since all design is computer generated now and all use the same database for airflow and ergonomics they all come out looking the same. Other than a few small changes all three of those trucks could have been cut with the same mold. We might be getting a more efficient vehicle out of this but they sure do lack individuality.

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Regarding plows for the 4500 - I was at the dealer here a few weeks ago. He told me the Fisher engineers had just been there taking measurements. They'll have a plow for it by the time snow flies - supposedly in a couple months. I'm guessing at least 10ft.

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

It is going to come down to front end weight as far as plows go guys. My money is on a 9' MC, 10' may be overweight in the front. Only time will tell. Even the big state trucks only run 10' blades, the get extra width with a wing.

Geoff

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I took a look at them before I ordered my 550, but the local dealer didn't know anything about them. I learned more from this board and knew more about the product as a result than the salesman did. I needed the 4x4 though and couldn't wait.They'd probably make a good 4x2 dump though, diesel powered of course!

14. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Hmmm, it does look a little like the vans....

bothfar.jpg

15. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Mike, chrome?

white.jpg

16. Chuck Smith

from NJ

From the front...

whitefront.jpg

17. Chuck Smith

from NJ

and the red one............

redfront.jpg

18. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

I'll take the red one with a 9.5' Western/Fisher V-blade and a hydraulic salter on the back driven off the Allison tranny. My idea of heaven while plowing! Now all I have to do is convince myself its time to buy another plow truck and drop some serious cash!

19. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea there you go, a little chrome goes a long way! Those trucks look good in those pics with the dump body and some flashy chrome. I like the red one too. Chuck thanks alot for posting some nice pics, where is that dealer located? NJ? Mike :)

20. Chuck Smith

from NJ

Mike, they are located on River St. in Hackensack. They have almost as many trucks as Warnock.

I was shocked when I first saw the place..... it is a Chevy AND Ford dealer! Never saw one sell both before. They have a neon sign in the window with their web address that I edited out in Paint Shop. They have dump, flatbeds, wreckers, vans, you name it!

www.greatamericanchevy.net

Right next to those 2 Chevy trucks, they had this new Ford...

(decided not to post it in THIS forum!)

~Chuck