1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All Liquid Anti-icing/De-icing Questions Here!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by VS Innovation, Feb 17, 2016.

1. winterwonderland

winterwonderland Sponsor

I would agree on that statement broncslefty7. You really need to test your mix and different temps to see when it becomes ineffective. Whatever temp that ends up being, mix in your calcium or low temperature additive from there. No need to add it if temps are above 10 or so.

2. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Good pics to show the liquid working Bronc.

Just remember with IBG used as a Post treatment, don't use to much or you will start seeing tracking and possible some slickness because of the Mag in it, just use enough to start melting process when needed. We use mostly our Calcium Hot Brine to post treat, its burns through the packed snow better and its much cheaper to make and spray.

Don't recommend mixing in Calcium with the IBG, per the owner of the company, it will actually not work as well because the make up of the IBG and the added calcium with break each other down. Stick with one blend or the other....

3. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Plow King, start reading through all of this post and the ones in the ICE Management catagory on Liquids and you will get your answers to your questions form a handful of us on here that were at your exact time frame with liquids years ago :)

4. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Here are some pics of our latest truck build, we are 95% done on the truck, but took it out the other night and tested it out on some pre-treating before a small Ice storm that hit us Near Baltimore Sat morning.

We just bought some Boomless nozzles to try out from Dave at VSI and they worked out great, loved the coverage off the side of the truck for pre-treating Thumbs Up We are now contemplating adding one to the center boom for better coverage over the T jets.

Ground temps were well below freezing and it was in the 20s when we treated at midnight and he had freezing rain and Ice pellets hit for a bit in the morning. I think we were only at %15 on our IBG/Brine mix and the accounts we treated at midnight were 90% wet at 9:30 am at 31 degrees and our accounts that did not want pre-treatment were glazed over with ice and ended up calling us in the morning to come treat. :help:
    So next time I think they might listen to us a little better :)
    Photo Dec 19 8 39 23 AM.jpg Photo Dec 16 11 03 10 PM.jpg Photo Dec 16 11 55 12 PM.jpg Photo Dec 16 11 55 37 PM.jpg Photo Dec 17 12 07 44 AM.jpg Photo Dec 16 11 55 21 PM.jpg

5. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

we are slinging liquids to other contractors now, not only is it half the price of ice melt and rock salt, you get wayyy better results.

6. Plow_King3131

Plow_King3131 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I am excited to try and get more liquid use in our operation.

7. winterwonderland

winterwonderland Sponsor

86 CJ, How does the Earthway walk behind work for your liquids on side walks?

8. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

We have the S25 6.6 gal model and like it a lot. I am about to order another one. Second season using it and it out performs the backpack sprayers and is an easy in between them and the truck hoses off the pumps. There is no electrical/Battery and pumps to worry about, so if you take care of them, should last you a couple seasons and get the job done for pre-treating and post treating. Two passes on the walks (up/Back) usually gets the right amount of liquids down to work, has adjustable height T-jet nozzles on it as well. There are a bunch of others out there up to $1000, but Happy with investing in this one...

9. winterwonderland

winterwonderland Sponsor

86 CJ, I have used them in the past but had problems with them slipping. It sounds like Earthway may have addressed that in their newer models. I have 4 Brand new ones in the box that I will sell you at cost if you are looking for more.

10. rick W

rick W Member

Mind if i ask what the price is?
    Finding easy ways to apply liquids to walks is difficult. We use a atv sprayer and that works well but cant leave it on site (it would disappear) and other than big snow events...dont bother floating it in. A nice portable sprayer (at good price) in a pick up with a few jugs of fluid would be ideal.

11. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

we use 4 gallon back pack sprayers that work well, 56 dollars at home depot or 27 at harbor freight, we priced out the push behind ones and they where like 6-7 hundred.

12. winterwonderland

winterwonderland Sponsor

I will ship the Earthway S25 Spray Pro Anywhere in the US for $400.00
    I also have the Earthway S15 Spray Pro Anywhere in the US for $300.00
    Check out www.synatekicemelt.com we have a lot products and equipment on there. We have a battery powered pressurized hand can called a green gorilla that does an amazing job spraying liquids. It is a cool product.

13. fiveothis

fiveothis Junior Member

Thanks guys for all the info on winter liquids here. Newbie to liquid and I just need a little clarification.

Asking about specific gravity of salt brine. Sodium chloride itself should be 1.175, correct?

And Calcium chloride itself should be 1.322?

Thanks

14. rick W

rick W Member

Calcium chloride questions Cant find liquid anywhere reasonable to buy so likely going to just dummy it down and source some bags of dow flake for this year. I know its not pure, and i have a cal chloride hydrometer so....my question is this.

I am just going to make up 1-300 gal of cal chloride brine to spike my salt brine with. Do i just fill a tank with water, dump in some bags and mix/recirculate until the flake is dissolved and keep adding powder until i hit the 32%, pump to a storage tank and add 10% of that mix to my salt brine when its nasty cold. That simple? Thanks.

15. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Your on the right track

Fill your tank with 256g water then slowly add 1170lbs of calcium and mix until desolved and at 32% to get to 300g. Simple as that Take your time Calcium gets Very HOT when mixing...

Then store in seperate tank and mix in 10-15% as needed.

16. winterwonderland

winterwonderland Sponsor

Can't overstate this enough. It gets very hot roughly 140 degrees almost instantly. Good luck and be careful.

17. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

I ended up making a new spray bar, and thanks to Dave from VSI, I ordered a gps system.
    Looks really fun to install :dizzy::dizzy:
    20161222_132644_resized.jpg 20161227_161927_resized.jpg

18. rick W

rick W Member

Can you clarify that.... 256 gall of water....and almost 1200lbs of calcium?? Really that much? Thats a typo right.

19. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

lol Nope not a typo, actually almost 98% accurate info. We have been doing this for a couple years now :D To get to your 32% that is what you will need give or take a couple lbs depending on what exact brand of Calcium you are using to mix.

20. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Dodge, system looks good and very similar to how our 450 Superduty we built for last season. Depending if you are only pre-treating or also post treating you might run into an issue on the gap you are leaving between the side nozzles. We were using barbed nozzles and when post treating it was only digging down in certain areas and there was not enough coverage in between nozzles, so was leaving a large area of snow/packed ice behind. We have switched to boom busters on the sides of our new build now and have not tested on post treating(still waiting on first storm) but the coverage is awesome on pre-treating.