1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All IFS Chevy guys should read this thread

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 2COR517, Apr 4, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I checked mine on my 98 2500 and the frame is solid but I will have the gussets put on before next winter. No need to neglect an area that could become a major problem down the road.

3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I just checked my '06 D-max truck and it's all good. No sense in tempting fate though when the gussets are so easy to fab up and I've got that nice MIG just sitting there collecting dust. I'll be making that little improvement this spring at the same time I tear down my plow pumps & hydraulic manifolds for a good cleaning/inspection/overhaul/etc...

So far, I have not heard of anybody getting a crack in the frame after installing the gussets so hopefully that's the end of it. If anybody knows different, please post it.

4. MarioGMC

MarioGMC Junior Member

Nobody has replied to this thread since 04-04-2009, 07:52 PM, I was thinking about putting the gussets in my truck and now seeing that no one has replied to this thread with problems to the frames after putting the gussets in............Well i think its a no brain-er......

But if someone can prove me wrong, please let us know

5. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Cheap Insurance imo.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

To date I've yet to find one broken at the top with the gussets installed and this includes trucks that have had 1000 lb plows and V-boxes on them for over 7 years now.

Best and cheapest preventative insurance money can buy.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good time of year to bring this thread to the top.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

B&B, what will a set of gussets run me if I buy them from you? Better than me making a template, and trying get the bend slightly in them also. You've made tons of these from the sounds of it.

9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

X2, would this be something to look into for the Colorado?

10. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

We have a 99 3500 dump that has cracked and broke from the bottom up. Its also rotted on the inside of the frame by the motor. Its going in this week to have both sides fixed this week. This is nothing new with chevy's.

11. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

WOW guys! Thanks for bringing this thread to the top. Lots of us are new to the plowing business and would never have known to check for these cracks.
    I'm putting new snow tires on my GMC 2500 Monday morning. I'll take a good look at it while we have it up on the lift with the wheels off.
    Then I'll fab up a set of gussets and weld them in. I think I'll work up a set of braces back to the tranny crossmember too. I'll let you all know if I come up with anything worth passing along.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 88-98's are known to break from the bottom up, both behind or in front of the control arm mounts and it's due to rough stacking and/or excessive plow bounce on a chain lifted unit. It pays to gusset them right out of the gate too to prevent issues.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes I keep a pre-made stack of them on the shelf as I include them in on a plow install on any truck that's getting a heavy plow that isn't already equipped with them. Be happy to ship a set out to you, just shoot me a PM.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have read about these issues before, but forgot until this was brought back up. Just walked outside and looked at my 07 3500, and its fine. Should probably get some installed and keep it that way. Thanks for bringing this back up.

P.S. PM being sent B&B.:mechanic:

15. milwaukeevtwin

milwaukeevtwin Senior Member

I could use four sets. 2 for 1989 chevy 2500 1 for 1991 2500 and i for 2001 1500. Please give me a price shipped to 61080. Thanks, Ron

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Shoot me a PM for more info Ron. The 88-98's are a different animal that require reinforcement in more than just a single location. In fact they require three gussets per side.

17. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

Any pictures of these gussets installed?

18. Click on the link in the first post......

19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

The Pics need to be Bigger so some can see them.....