1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

all comm. plowers in IL

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mrplow5885, Jan 1, 2011.

1. mrplow5885

mrplow5885 Junior Member

New law that went into effect to day 1/1/11:
    Disability Parking (SB 3309/PA 96-1125): States that 24 hours following a storm or other severe weather incident, property owners can be held responsible for any unreasonable obstruction of a parking place specifically reserved for disabled persons. Also prohibits the accumulation of debris or large objects without providing equivalent alternative parking on-site.

just a heads up.

2. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

People are morons for putting snow in handicap spots in the first place. The first thing I do is clean out the handicap spots.

3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

ya I was going to day usually the sidewalk crew will actually take care of the handicape spots if its a usual lot, but if the plow truck does them, thats the first spot that gets hit and no snow is ever piled into or around a handicape stall. Just stupid to do so

4. SullivanSeptic

It is stupid to pile snow there but 50% of the lots I see have a lot of snow piled in the handicap spots. At least half of the parking spot is covered. But those owners get what they pay for with there cheap plowing company

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

You know I thought I was the only one who has noticed this. I would say the last 3 or 4 years I have seen it more and more including leaving 1 or 2 foot tall windrows left between the signs as well. There is 2 places in town here where they are/were using the handicapped spots as staging area for the snow piles only to still see them 3 days later. :eek:

My dad had both his legs removed at the knee and finding a well spaced spot to park and remove his chair was ALWAYS a problem and he made it known to the owners whenever the occasion arose. Having known others like my dad and having a couple friends in chairs I take special care when cleaning these spots and make sure whatever space you can see in the spring is open after the snow flies.

I will even mention something to the owners of lots I park in if I notice this or I place a call to their corporate offices if I get any flak from the owner/manager.
    Which I may add also works when a lot is plowed so crappy it is hard to walk in. This is especially pleasing when it is a lot I use to do who went with someone cheaper only to find out later they save money by no salt usage or shoddy clearing of HC spots.

Sorry to whomever was doing the Wendy's I use to do. But when I can not use the drive thru because of ice pack and narrow width or HC spots look like something from a gravel pit I feel it is my duty to place a call. ussmileyflag

6. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

This is a good idea, but kinda sad that it had to be done at all. I, too, see guys piling near the handicapped spots, and even worse I see more ice in those spots than anywhere else!

The best thing I can say is this--I've fired subs for not clearing the handicapped spaced properly.

'Nuff said...

7. mrplow5885

mrplow5885 Junior Member

just thought i would put it out there might help some of us get more/ keep accounts because we can point out to property managers/ owners that they can now get punished for the sub-par job some of these other companies are doing.

8. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

first thing we tell our guys is to keep the handicap spots free. we hit them heavier with salt as well.

9. Westhardt Corp.

Good find--thanks for posting it.

10. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Me too. I tell the guys that's if they only do one thing right make sure its the handicap spots

11. SullivanSeptic

Interesting! I say the same thing to my guys, but they struggle with doing one thing right. They have the attention span of my 3 year old

12. Westhardt Corp.

It just makes sense--if for NO other reason than public perception of the plowing contractor's performance. They are the first spaces you see when exiting the store. And nothing makes you look worse than a stuck wheelchair (no joke--seen it happen).

13. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

WE make them our number one priority if the business is open, they are almost always close to the entrance so the sidewalk guys usually take care of them while doing walks and the ice melt them as well.