1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

All chained up

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by lawnboy2121, Feb 6, 2013.

1. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

Finally looks like a legitimate snowstorm for Friday in my area. Broke out theold chains for the skid steer. Not a big fan of plowing with chains but the tires I have on the machine suck in the snow so I figured what the hell and put them on . Should push better

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

looks good ready to go
  3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

put some spreaders/tensioners on them. key to making chains last is to keep them tight and try to avoid spinning them.
  4. lawnboy2121

The springs r going on in the morning. I had to change them slightly. We ran chains on our tractors for years great for traction but a pain. If we had normal winters I would buy snow tires instead but not going to spend money the way winters have been
  5. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

bungee cords help too!
  6. lawnboy2121

Never tried them I always used springs but good idea probably easier
  7. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

yeah bungee cords should be alright in a pinch its only a skidsteer your going to be in parking lots plowing below 10 mph not traveling on the road where you would need actually spring tensioners.
    i run chains on both my 35k gvw plow trucks that due municipal work around here and they are such a hassle to maintain
  8. lawnboy2121

yes they r i cannot stand them but i had no choice for now
  9. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

You're gonna need them...
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You want the chains as tight as possible. Run them back a few times, tighten them up. Then put the bungees to her. Run them on the inside if they clear. Sometimes they will come off if you scrub a snow bank with the side of the tires.

Bungees are fine. I ran them on my pickup at speeds up to 30mph no problem.

You think so? They totally blew it a few weeks ago.
  11. lawnboy2121

I have springs to put on in the am just had to shorten them a little. Lets hope I will need them. Have not had a decent snowfall this year yet. Sanders have deen working though
  12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Not if they are roller chains, they need to be loose enough to rotate around so that they wear properly. They actually state not to run tensioners on them.

Used to run them on the 33k gvw trucks and skid steers all the time. Skid steers too many people complained about the asphalt getting beat up and the trucks didn't need them once I started buying virgins instead of caps.
  13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldn't they just rip once the tires spun? I think he is better off with chains. :dizzy:

Totally kidding.