1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alittle Help Here Please

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kingriver, Dec 4, 2005.

1. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

I own a 1990 GMC 3/4 T Suburban SLE/350. Last winter we decided to have a (astrostart) remote starter installed. Ever since I had this unit installed the driving lights won't come on until the interior of the truck is warm. I had it professionally installed, and at first questioned them and they actually took the switch out and sprayed it with some sort of cooling agent, and then showed me that it wasnt functioning properly. Prior to this installation I never had a problem. Last night I decided to turn the remote off under the dash, and to my suprise the lights still wouldn't come on. These switches are pretty much standard equipment at any auto parts store. I tend to think that they all cant be made like this otherwise we would have alot of people not being able to drive around until the trucks warm up.. (ANYONE EVER HAD THE SAME PROBLEM):cool:
  2. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

I think your "professional" installer, didn't do a professional job. The Installer definitely didn't wire the remote starter properly.

I do believe the Chevy alarm system is built into the factory radio and something is just not right on your truck.

Take it back and demand the problem is fixed.

3. NJBuickRacer

NJBuickRacer Member

I posted in your other thread also, but I'd look into your remote start as I have an identical truck with no such problem.
  4. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Some auto start systems get the car running, but don't "activate" all systems. I had one on a Ford several years ago and although the engine was running, the heat wouldn't come on nor would the battery charge until I put the key in. Weird.
  5. KeeblerBP

KeeblerBP Member

This was caused by your installer not hooking up the right ignition and accessory wires. Most vehicles will start without powering the accessory wire(s) but the electrical accessories won't work like the heater, radio and power windows until the ignition is turned on and the rest of the wires powered. Sometimes especially in Ford vehicles the air bag and abs lights will be on until the key is turned on because of a ignition wire that isn't needed for startup.