1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

alignment?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHDkid45, Feb 28, 2011.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd i put a torsion key leveling kit in it last week and i had everything set to where i thought i wanted it went and got an alignment, and now looking at it i want to raise the front up a little more maybe at most a inch? Would it be necessary to get another alighment if im just going up a little bit more or should i be fine? I got the 2 inch blocks for the rear thats the reason for rasing the front up a little more.

2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

I would have it checked, when you change ride height you change camber

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

change anything it WILL change the alignment. even if you change the rear hight.

it all plays with each other.

i did alignments for years. leave it alone or pay again for full redo.

and the more you crank the keys the harder it will ride as the upper a-arms are going to ride on the frame bump stops for max drop/lift.

4. sweetk30

and caster and toe.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

When you go for your next alignment, pay the extra $20 or so for the lifetime alignment. Then you can go and have it done weekly and it won't cost you any extra. I did this on my truck when I started plowing with it and I figure I've saved the cost of a couple alignments already.

6. sweetk30

lots of shops dont offer the lift time stuff.

plows / company vehicles / pot holes / worn parts all = hell no on making a lifttime alignment pay off.

and as a tech i would refuse to ever do those again as i would make no money.

i am surprised your shop even lets you get away with that . as you use your truck for plowing/comercial use.

even parts from stores say no warrenty or min on stuff used on comercial use vehicles.

and if he customer plays with the parts or adjustments them self why should thay be held liable for redo on the alignment as thats out of there control .

just my opinion.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

All the shops in my area that I am aware of offer lifetime alignments...they're all around $130 IIRC...I'm sure there are plenty of palces that won't do it...going to guess those are more independant shops that chains.

While I agree with you that the shops generally don't make money on them overall I think its used more as a tool to help make sticky customers. Offer a service that other places don't and you get people in the door. Frequently you'll probably find a worn part that needs to be replaced while you're aligning it and while the customer's car is on the lift they stand a good chance of getting an oil change, tire rotation, new muffler and other "incidentals". it also helps make you that person's mechanic of choice when they have a problem with their other vehicles.

More often than not my truck goes in 2x a year and I get an alignment and thats it, sometimes I do have a worn part that needs to go though.

8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

For what it is worth i cranked my stock keys 5 turns on my ECSB, It was 4yrs before it was ever aligned, the tech was a friend and said it was off but the truck handled fine and wore the tires fine. For the 1" your looking for, crank it up and see how it goes down the road. It will be off but may not be enough to bother with until you buy a new set of tires.

9. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I think I'm going to crank them and see what it does. I really don't want to spend another 90 bucks to get another alignment. I will probably get one before I put the big dog tires on for the summer