1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alignment question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by faughtj, Oct 22, 2005.

1. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

I have a 2000 Silverado 2500. I bought the lifetime alignment deal from the local Firestone store. My truck has developed a pull to the left, so I had them check the alignment. They said the alignment was technically OK, but the camber plates needed to be removed & adjusted at a cost of $60.00 per side. They also said it would not cause uneven tire wear, just the annoying pull to the left. I passed on the service but the pull is still there and it bugs the crap out of me.

I've never heard of this camber plate.. my question is, does this exist? I'm thinking they're just trying to extract more $$$ since I've already paid for the lifetime alignment. Seems to me this should be part of the normal alignment procedure. Whaddya think?

Jason

2. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

I am a master tech at a local shop. I have never had to do this to align your truck or any ttruck for that matter. You should go to a pepboys or something similar and get a free alignment check if it is off have them fix it ,and make sure they give you a before and after printout. then go back to firestone and get your money back. IF IT PULLS IT'S WEARING TIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THINK ABOUT IT IF YOU HOLD THE WHEEL STRAIGHT AND THE TRUCK WANTS TO GO LEFT YOUR SCUFFING TIRES............
    mike

3. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

One more thing
    Camber wears tires like a *******!!!!!!!!!!! either on the inner or outside edge.
    However, rarely makes a vehicle pull unless it's drastic
    mike

4. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

double post !!!

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Is it a new style or the old style? The old style you had to remove the concetric knock outs in the upper controll arm mount to adjust them and I think the newer style have them out already and use a plastic shim in there to set them at the factory.
    If your bars are tuned up at all they need to be removed for proper adjustment.

6. FaughtJ

I'll take my chances here with Ironworks1 and his opinion but there is an easy way to check and see just what your problem is. Alignment generally doesn't cause a pull, tires do. Swap the left and right front tires and if it goes away or pulls to the right, you'll know you have a tire problem. The camber is adjustable on late model GM's so I don't know why you would need something special unless some front end damage has occurred. Good Luck.

7. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

alignment

Motorman is absolutely correct ALSO. You very well could have a radial pull, however alignment can cause the vehicle to pull or drift.
    mike

8. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

Thanks for all the help.. I figured I was getting snowed. I'm picking up some heavier shocks in the next couple of days, so I'm going to install those & then take it back. If they give me the same BS, I won't go quietly! Thanks again and hope the season is good for you.

Jason