1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Aldi id now going Corporate

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by olie, Nov 17, 2012.

1. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

I have done our Aldi for the past 5 years and its a very demanding account as there are alot of older people shopping here so they want to keep it cleared as much as possible. We salt anything under a inch and plow anything over an inch even through out the day. Well I was contacted by the new Co that got the contracts and I said ok send me over your info and I will take a look at it. Well they sent me a contract and was paying a seasonal rate but the only problem was they where only paying $2250.00 for the entire season so I called and said well what about salt and clearing the walks I didnt see any prices on that and the guy told me well thats included in the $2250.00 I about **** and said ok Im not your guy. I went back and checked my paperwork and I have doubled that amount in just salt alone. Just kinda crazy.
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is the way it goes these days...
  3. waterboy

waterboy Member
    from mn

dont take it the wrong way but if its the location in Coon Rapids, MN than that specified amount should be more than enough to do services.

We currently service a lot directly across the street form that Aldi and the current vendor for Aldi sends two pickups to plow, we send one, we get it done in a third of the time with salting and shoveling.

Same size lot too!

I agree, once a business goes national, the price decreases.
  4. Burkartsplow

What are the sizes of these lots. Here in ohio they are 1.5 to 2 acre. We used to plow aldis for 5 seasons about 10 years ago. For the price they are willing to pay for seasonal work I would not touch those accounts also. You are smart to walk away.

TJSNOW Senior Member

Thats the size around here....You are seeing All-inclusive seasonals going for $3200-$3500 for the season.....:eek:......:dizzy:
  6. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

Thats not the lot Im talking about our lot was much bigger it would take a truck with a 9ft boss V 1.5-2 hrs with 2-4 inches and the lot drifts bad because of its location. Also everything had to be pushed to 1 end of the lot and they would call us through out the day to clean up slush and salt so the carts would roll through the lot. Im sure they will get a local hack to come in and mess everything up. I talked with one oh the main people for my location and they said they where sorry and asked if I would consider being a back up if the other contractor dosent work out or dosent show up when called. I bet money my trucks will be on that lot this winter lol.
  7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Have one here in the wny area. Was contacted directly by the District Manager
  8. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Who did Aldi go with? A national company or just someone at corporate managing the snow?
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I'm confused here. You said you couldn't do them for that price. What makes you think they will pay whatever you want to do it? They will expect you to do it for less no matter what.

I turned down a national that wanted me to clear a tower access parking area and walk going to the small building. I could do it all in 15 minutes and they pay $500+ to do it. Great money but if I don't submit a invoice within 48hrs, I DO NOT GET PAID! Now think about it. If I'm working and it snows a lot, where will I find the time to take before and after pics THEN upload them and send them, all within 48hrs? Oh wait, I'd have to wait 45 days to get paid too! No thanks.....
  10. Burkartsplow

I can upload and send an invoice in 5 minutes with my phone, and to make $500 for 15 minutes of work I can wait the 45 days. Sorry for getting off track.
  11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

You got that right. Turning down that job for that reason is foolish.
  12. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

Im not understanding this? I have plowed this lot for a long time and know what it takes to get it done, what they offered wouldnt cover the salt used on that lot so I called to try to work with them on their price and inform them this isnt your average Aldi lot, the answer I got was they would add on another $200 for the season. I dont understand you turning down 500 for 15 min worth of work.
  13. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Because it's BS. Nobody in their right mind would turn down 500 dollars for 50 minutes worth of work.
    It's just flat out bs.
  14. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

15 min lol
  15. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I hope your not talking about cell tower sites? Tower sites are THE BEST accounts you will ever and I mean EVER have!!

I had one a few years back. Best account ever! No one was ever at the site. I even forgot to plow it a time or two and when I did get to plow it. NO foot prints in the snow.

1. No liability
    2. No ones ever there
    3. Plow whenever you want.
    4. Send the bill and collect payup

And speaking of billing. I know the national that your talking about. RE-READ the contract. It clearly says..... You have 48 hours to submit an invoice after providing services.

SO.... To re-cap. You plow that cell tower last. End of the day or night. Go home take a nap for 12, 18 or 24 hours and when you wake up submit your invoice. payup All within the 48 hours of providing service to the account. Thumbs Up
  16. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

BTW, I'll do it for $475. :)
  17. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

Ill go $450
  18. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I don't think they "went" with anyone. Aldi is a pretty close knit privately owned operation. I do 4 Aldi's and they're all per push and all paid through their regional office (20 mins from me). Great account. A little chinsy with salt sometimes, walks aren't my responsibility, but they pay no ?s asked. A good DM is a reason for that. I usually bid a few districts, but only get one. They're pretty spread out so my pricing on the farther away ones is probably why. District locations are weird too. They're really spiratic. Certain ones aren't in a district nearby to others.

Also, how big are your lots there? We do mine in under an hour each. Last year I had 3 of them on a route where 3 trucks were and we'd tag team them in under 15 mins start to finish with Blizzard plows.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  19. olie

olie Junior Member
    from midwest

Well I lost my Aldi to a group out of Cleveland they got a ton of them here in Ohio and would only offr me 2200 for a season and that includes plow, walks and salt that is crazy for over an 1.5 ac. They must be unsure as the DM called me asking if I will be their back up plow guy if the other group dosent get them done or dont do it right. Again this is a L shape lot that has crazy drifting issues thats not seen on paperwork in a office.
  20. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

What did you tell the DM when he called? Or did he hang up because you just continued to laughed?