1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alcohol and Gasoline

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by POWERBAND, Nov 10, 2004.

1. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Here in the NE the gas pumps say "Contains 10% methanol". Does this eliminate the need for gas line dryer products?. Or does the alcohol in the gas make more problems by retaining water?.

Last night the '04 Silverado started occasionally stumbling while cruising not affected by engine load. The temps stayed under 20 degrees yesterday for first time this season. Today the truck runs fine and the only change is today is a lot warmer. I have noticed it drips moisture out the tailpipe even when at operating temps.

Thanx, PB

( Old 88)
    [​IMG]

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

its a trooper in that pic

3. POWERBAND

POWERBAND Member

Old 88

You are very astute. Yes it is a Trooper. That truck never stumbles and with 170K will still plow up a storm! . Now it is relegated to backup but since I own a new Chevy I better keep it ready.
    PB :rolleyes:

4. lqmustang

lqmustang Member

Are you sure it says Methanol, and not Ethanol? Methanol = bad, Ethanol = good. Ethanol, which is corn based, blends easily with fuel, keeps the fuel system dry and clean, and doesn't cause any problems with the fuel system. Methanol on the other hand does not blend as well with gasoline, and requires other additives to keep it from separating. Methanol is also more corrosive, and can eat away at the rubber parts of your fuels system.

Oh, and hi plowsite. Been lurking here for a while, and have learned a bunch. :waving:

5. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Hello :waving: and welcome hope you have learned allot.