1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Albany NY Area Salting Prices

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by duffman301, Nov 5, 2009.

1. duffman301

duffman301 Junior Member

Hey Guys I am interested in hearing what you guys are getting for salting and calcium chloride. I have a tailgate spreader and i am bidding residential and commercial jobs.
    How much do you charge by the lbs for each?
    Do you charge for delivery or just the per lbs price?
    Do you charge a different per lbs price for walkways that need to be walk behind spread vs. pavement area that can be spread with the spreader?

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Here's how we do it.

Rather Residential or Commercial determine your minimum charge for the application for both an application after plowing or for an application of material for less than a plowable snow. They will have to different price points.

Then determine your deicing pricing based on your actual costs per pound of the products you may be using. We are all buying at different pricing based on our own market and the volume we are buying. However, do establish a minimum price and quantity for material. For example: Just because you only apply 25 lbs of product to a driveway or sidewalk, charging $.30 per pound or $7.50 for deicing material in my opinion would not be enough.

Establish a minimum price for each service that you offer and stick to it. Too many times, it can be very easy to let our profits melt away by under-selling our services. The value in snow & ice management is #1 Reducing the possibility of a slip and fall accident, #2 Getting your residential clients and their family in and out of their homes safely, and #3 for your commercial accounts - getting their employees and their customers in and out of their businesses safely. What's the value of that?

To answer your question about pricing in our market (but all markets are different)

Truck and spreader $75.00 minimum 1 hour plus material
    Material pricing:
    Salt (sodium chloride) = $.48 per pound 50lb minimum
    Blended material (Sodium/Magnesium) = $.58 per pound 50lb minimum
    Calcium or Magnesium straight = $.63 per pound 50lb minimum

Many of our competitors are selling for much less on material pricing and they have plenty of work. But guess what, so do we. We cater to the client who wants faster response times and thus reducing their liability exposure for a slip and fall accident.

This doesn't make it right for you, but it sure works well for us.