1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Albany NY area. Plow Support needed.

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ODwyerPW, Dec 29, 2004.

1. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

Folks,
    I run a LawnCare/Landscaping business. Started plowing this year to retain a key employee. Purchased an 01 F550 DRW Dump with a 9' Plow. Signed up as a subcontractor to plow 4 parking lots that would cover my Truck Payment, Insurance, Gas and Employee Retainer. The 4 lots take about 1 1/2 hr or so to do (3 of them are right next to each other..the other 6 miles away). Shoveling necessary at front door of gas station and at several entrances at a doctor's office. You also have to return after 11AM to clean up after cars have checked out at one of them (a hotel). Looked like a good arrangement. I keep a guy, I get 5 months of payments made on my new used Dump Truck.

Unfortunately, this employee is taking a position with another company. He's getting out of LawnCare/Landscaping altogether. I hadn't intended to plow this Winter (I saved well through Spring/Summer/Fall to cover the Winter months), as I promised to get my wife out of the cold NorthEast for 6 weeks. Now, I'm stuck fulfilling the contracts. I don't mind the work, in fact, I enjoy it quite a bit. However, I'd still like to get my wife out of Upstate NY for 2 weeks in Jan and 1 in Feb - 3 weeks total.

Little apprehensive about hiring someone who hasn't plowed with a truck as large as mine in lots with obstacles. How do you go about getting someone to cover you for 3 weeks?

F550PlowDumpTruck.JPG

2. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

Where are you at? What dates, how much, details please

3. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

Comfort Inn, Miller Rd, Schodack NY (I-90 Exit 10)
    Plow entire lot except under car port, no shoveling of any walks
    Must return after 11AM to cleanup spaces previously occupied by cars but that are empty after checkout.

Mobil, Miller Rd, Schodack NY (I-90 Exit 10)
    Plow entire lot, shoveling of front sidewalk. They are not open 24 hours which is nice as it makes it easy to plow around the pumps without customers getting in the way.

Community Care Physicians, Miller Rd, Schodack NY (I-90 Exit 10)
    Plow entire lot, shoveling/salting of all entrances. Lots of Elderly patients that begin arriving by 7 AM, so plowing/shoveling/salting has to be done early.

Friendly's, Rt 4 (Old Troy Rd) near 9 & 20 intersection, East Greenbush NY
    Plow entire lot, no shoveling

Jan 19 (Wed) - Feb 7 (Mon)
    Salting is done by the outfit I am contracting from, so that's not an issue. However, I keep a bag in my Truck for the entrances of the Doctor's office and Mobil Station.

I would have to clear anyone who wants to fill in for me with the outfit that I am contracting from.

4. z71Worker

z71Worker Member

I am familiar with those shops.. give me a call if you want (your PM's are off)
    home 663-8040
    cell 788-3168
    im at work now until 3-5ish (whenever the boss leave's), or leave your number..

5. NJShawn

NJShawn Junior Member
    from 07026

How much are you paying??

6. ODwyerPW

ODwyerPW Junior Member

Folks,
    I have struck an agreement to retain the employee until Feb7. He starts his new job on Feb8. Therefore, I'm in the clear for those dates now. Thank you for replying.