1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alaskan PLow

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by frozen1, Feb 24, 2005.

1. frozen1

frozen1 Junior Member

This is one of the trucks used to plow an Ice road in Alaska

2. dieselman

dieselman Junior Member

thats pretty sweet, i like the twin steering
  3. DieselRules

DieselRules Junior Member

I've seen numerous shows about ice roads. I would love to find information on those trucks though, like what they modify and do to prepare them for the extreme cold and snow.
  4. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

They build an iceroad every year up in Fairbanks so they can haul equipment and supplies for the Summer out to some of the Air Force bombing ranges. Basically I guess they wait for the river to freeze up and add to that. Keep the snow plowed off it as well. Crumm might be able to get you a couple of pictures of the Fairbanks one if he's not to busy backblading.

There's a few other places around Alaska they build ice roads across tundra so they can haul supplies all winter and not worry about tearing up the tundra.
  5. Plow King jr.

Plow King jr. Member

that is a nice truck :waving:
  6. motorider000

motorider000 Senior Member

Yeah I am thinking about buy one of those for my driveway.
  7. frozen1

frozen1 Junior Member

The picture I posted is owned by a company named RTL and I think it is actually in Yellowknife. They build and maintain ice roads for supplying diamond mines and the Oil Patch in the north.
    I havent found many pictures of the plow gear they use but I saw a documentary on the them a while ago.
    Anyone finds some more pics, post em up..