1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Alaska Snow Iron,... Old & New

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I recently was in Valdez, Alaska, where I run a charter fishing boat in the summer, and I decided to drive around town & snap a few pictures of the snow-removal equipment that I found sitting here & there,.. some old & retired, some almost brand new,...

Valdez averages around 25-30 feet of snow per season, (with the record of over 46 ft in '89-'90, which incidently, was the winter following the Exxon Valdez oil spill), so the equipment here has to be able to deal with snow that completely buries houses, and keep this town up & running all winter, no matter how deep it gets.

Probably the oldest piece of equipment in Valdez that I know of, is this old, but restored, horse-drawn road grader, that is on display out in front of the main DOT office. Valdez was put on the map in the late 1800's as a drop-off point to the gold rushes farther into the interior, and so I suppose that this grader may have been one of the very first pieces of equipment used here to maintain the dirt road established by the gold rush. (And maybe the first piece used for snow plowing, but not sure how effective a horse drawn grader would be for that, especially around here,.... :rolleyes: )

PICT0028 (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This thing apparently kept pressure on the blade by using 2 big springs, and they, along with the angle of the front steel wheels, were controlled by cranks & wheels that could be adjusted by the operator, who was steering this thing with an almost vertical steering wheel,... no heat or A/C on this rig... :dizzy:

PICT0030 (Small).JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

A pretty cool machine.... definitely high-tech went it first hit town.... notice the seat suspension... at least they didn't have to mess with flat tires... :dizzy:

PICT0031 (Small).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

This is an "Adams Leaning Wheel Grader No. 8", made by J.D. Adams & Co. Indianapolis, IN (No date that I could find,.. just the serial number there)

PICT0032 (Small).JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Then I found a few older hulks parked here & there, that probably won't be coming out of retirement any time soon. I know nothing about heavy equipment, so I can't say what these machines are, or how old, or what brands they might be... the only really effective machinery that can handle the snows in Valdez are snow throwers/blowers & loaders. This is an old beast I found parked in the bushes....

PICT0036 (Small).JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Here's another snow thrower/blower that is an attachment for a large loader,... this thing must have been heavy & awkward to use.. not to mention slow....

PICT0038 (Small).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

the other side... it's hard to get good pictures of this stuff when it's got weeds & brush growing all around it...

PICT0037 (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Here's another one that has seen it's best days,... seems to me that years ago the snow throwers had 2 or 3 rows of augers, where the ones now, more times then not, just have one big one,... at least that's how it is around here....

PICT0039 (Small).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Among the equipment I found that is still being used, is this loader with some type of home-made looking pusher-plow on it....

PICT0035 (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Loaders with snow buckets are everywhere around town. Almost every business & many homeowners have their own equipment, and all the snow removal companies in Valdez have huge loaders. You don't see too many regular plows on pickups or even on big trucks, because they eventually can't get it over the piles & berms they make,... this guy has a regular bucket, a snow bucket, & a pusher for his loader,...

PICT0034 (Small).JPG

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The residents of Valdez might have the highest per-capita ownership of skid steers as can be found anywhere on the continent,... they're everywhere,.... I bought this one... & the thing about most of them around here is that they are nice & clean,... not much dirt work done with most,...

1840 #4 (Small).JPG

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Most of the plowing equipment that DOT uses in Valdez is still in summer storage, so I couldn't get too many good photos yet,.. maybe later. These are the typical trucks used around here....

PICT0027 (Small).JPG

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And these are some typical plows.... not sure what brand they are,.. maybe daniels... but don't know...

PICT0033 (Small).JPG

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Here's one of the currently used snow throwers,.. but I know they have some here a lot bigger than this... probably going thru them in the shops now.. getting them ready to go...

PICT0026 (Small).JPG

15. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Valdez has a few pieces of snow removal equipment they display right in town all summer for the tourists from Texas to gawk at,... (no offense to the Texans,.. :D )... first is a grader, with a side wing... this is what is used here mostly to scrape ice on the roads...

PICT0021 (Small).JPG

16. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Next is another snow thrower on a 966 loader,.. all chained up...

PICT0024 (Small).JPG

17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And finally,.. another loader with an over-sized pusher-bucket,...

PICT0023 (Small).JPG

18. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

There's a sign hanging here giving snow facts & history information... so, just for your enjoyment... this area holds at least 4 Alaska snow records,... & this is what is posted here....

1) "Most snow in 24 hours" = 62" in December 1955

2) "Most snow in a non-stop storm" = 175" in December 1955

3) "Most snow in one month" = 279" in February 1953

4) "Most snow in one season" = 954.5" winter of 1952-'53 (Thompson Pass, 25 miles up the road)

Maybe I'll try & get some action shots of this stuff doing what it does best in a few months... get ready !!!

PICT0025 (Small).JPG

19. Plow Chaser

Plow Chaser PlowSite.com Addict

Now that's one awkward looking Oshkosh. The hood has been chopped off and then an Idaho Norland blower put in its place. Crazy!

20. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

They have some mean snow plowing equipment!