1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

airshocks or overloads?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Detroitdan, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Need to replace the rear shocks on my 2500 Suburban, and since I want to tow my camper with it, I thought I'd go with something a little more heavy duty than stock replacement shocks. I found some shocks with coil-over overloads on them, says it gives 500 lbs more carrying capacity. But then I found some airshocks, and I kind of like the adjustability. They are nearly the same price, just wondering if theres pros or cons. I suppose potential airleaks would be one, or a rough ride with permanent coilovers, but I kind of think the coil is progressive.
    Not lookiing at the expense of adding a leaf or adding airbags, have them on my dually and they're overkill.
  2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

anymore buy a f/s air bag kit and bolt it in with good name brand shocks.

the bags will hold more last longer and work better than air shocks in my opinion.

i know you said no bags but all that work for little 500 lbs or so in the stock tiny shock bolts and ear's i still say bags kit . full ajust for 2500 lbs on average. and still ride great.

never done or seen much with coil shocks or air shocks in 10+ years. guys just go bags .
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  3. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I would not recommend the coilover type shocks. Your asking your shock mounts to bear the load and they are not really designed for that. Add a leaf is fairly simple installation and the kit only costs about 80 bucks. If your towing very infrequently, airshocks might be the cost effective option.