1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airshocks for Jepp Wrnagler

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by tjmahl, Feb 15, 2010.

1. tjmahl

tjmahl Member

I see some use airshocks on their Jeep Wranglers, what advantage does it provide?

Thanks

2. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

For leveling the vehicle when hauling a heavy load or towing.

I don't like them. Makes for a stiff ride.

3. KenB

KenB Junior Member

Springs hold you up. Shocks hold you down. :nod:

Ken

4. redoak

redoak Junior Member

My front air shocks are used to compensate for the 450 lbs. of snow plow hanging on the front. They do not affect the ride quality adversely at all.

5. danskool

danskool Junior Member

Same here.. Pump up to 100psi for plowing and hauling the plow around. Other wise the front of the jeep is sitting on the rubber bumpers, which means no suspension. The air shocks get me back my travel.. When i take plow off, I let pressure back down to 10. I did notice i like the the feel of the front air shocks. Might put them on the back, I am working on a hitch for balast for the plow and a trailer to haul stuff around...

6. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

Depends on the kinda ride you're used to I guess..lol.
    You must have a 2 door Jeep.
    :)

What do you set them at when you don't have 450 lbs of snow plow hanging on the front?

ETA:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  7. redoak

redoak Junior Member

I have a '97 TJ. I think Monroe recommends 30psi. minimum pressure, which is where I set them with the plow off. In my opinion discussing "ride quality" and "jeep" in the same context is somewhat humorous.

8. JEC

JEC Junior Member
    from Ohio

lol.. Agreed.
    I like my JK ride........but yes, I still miss my TJ.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use 160 PSI with the plow on and 10 PSI without the plow. I have the factory ride hight with the plow on and raised.

10. rfwins

rfwins Junior Member

Air shocks only way to go!!

I use them up front to hold up my plow, and on the rears to hold 300#s of salt in my spreader. I air them up to 150 psi when both are on my 92 yj and drop the psi down to about 20 psi when plow and spreader are off the jeep i can tell you they work GREAT!!
    jeep remains level and handles much better when fully loaded
    yj guys here the part numbers that i used
    Gabriel Hyjackers
    Front 49196
    Rears 49222