1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

AirFlow SS Salter Electric Conversion

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Moonlighter, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

Well after a ton of reading and research and asking questions I have finally completed the conversion of my AirFlow SS Vbox. First off I had to buy a pair of salters to get this one, the other vbox was a Western steel box with a bad motor and rusted out. The motor on the SS was junk from them having left salt packed into every nook and cranny of it, so it got scraped along with the western box and motor. Those pics will be included too lol, I replaced every bearing that it took, along with a new gear box (they cut the old one off and lost it) new chains, sprockets, electric motor, continuous duty solenoid, heavy gauge wire, auto battery, battery box, and an old school on off switch from a old table saw that has a removable switch for safety. I also got a canvas tarp that is water proof, and wired a rotating amber light to go on when the salter is in use. All in all a total of $1400.00 invested for a brand new Electric SS Vbox salter, I am extremely happy with the results! Thanks so much to all the guys who helped along the way posting pictures and answering questions. Thumbs Up:salute: Now it's time to play in the snow and ice payup.

3/4 hp electric motor, 56c base, 5/8" motor shaft.
    60 tooth #40 sprocket 1" top gear box
    12 tooth #40 sprocket 5/8" motor
    16 tooth #40 sprocket 1" lower gear box (may go larger if I don't like the how far it throws the salt.)
    24 tooth #40 sprocket 1" spinner shaft
    10 foot #40 roller chain
    A few things that tripped the project up for a minute, I had to cut the motor plate down by four inches at least, to make enough room for the 60 tooth sprocket. I wired the motor to be triggered through the solenoid, so that if anything went wrong the solenoid would fail before anything else gets damaged. Any questions or comments let me know.

vbox conversion 001.jpg

Air Flow Conversion 003.jpg

vbox conversion 003.jpg

fishing gear 008.jpg

fishing gear 006.jpg

2. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Looks good Thumbs Up I have done (6) of these conversions and I run a 1hp electric motor but have found out I needed to run another motor for the spinner this new setup is sweet pm me and I will send some pics

3. Moonlighter

One last little tweak to cover the exhaust and front air damn holes to keep all the moisture out, I ended up using an old rubber deflector for the materials. After it rained then turned to snow I found a little too much moisture on my motor plate and solenoid so one more quick picture and I am ready to roll.Thumbs Up:redbouncepayup

spreader 001.jpg

4. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Spray that motor and chain with fluid film you need it

5. Moonlighter

I have since the pictures were taken Dan, I love that stuff. If franks red hot hadn't taken the slogan I believe Fluid Film would have it "I put that s**t on everything" LOL

6. Marek

Marek Senior Member

Love the idea, has anyone done this with western gas spreaders ? Did you use the same cab controller ?

7. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Can be done on any V box brand gas motor, all you need is the right elcetrical knowledge
    and a couple toggle switches

8. Moonlighter

I have seen many people do this with a variety of brands. If you do the conversion there is no need for the cab controller, just an on/off toggle switch as Dan stated, I ended up selling mine to a buddy who still runs all gassers.

9. Moonlighter

First run last night with the new setup, and I am very proud to say it is a beautiful thing, worked like a charm and I have really good control just switching on and off. I am sold on electric, no more gassers in my future!

10. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Told you would like the electric I have done 6 units and never go to gas again

11. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We're on number three converting Western Gas V boxes to electirc.

12. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i am thinking about making the switch, where did you get the motors from and how about keeping the battery charged

13. Moonlighter

The motor I got was on Ebay for 305 + free S/H & a one year warranty, my battery is trickled charged from the alternator on the truck, I ran a wire from where the 14 volts get pumped back to the battery, but before it reaches the main battery, back to the salter battery, now any time the truck is running the battery is getting charged and is always at full power and ready to rock. I can snap a pic, I am a bit tired this morning lol, hope this helps.

14. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

thanks for the info

15. Snow commander

Snow commander Junior Member

I too am thinking of making the switch. My gas motor is 14 yrs old and runs ok but the salt has taken a toll on it. The block is corroded so bad that lugs that bolt it down are falling off, and the sheet metal is just about gone. My concern is I do both parking lots and driveways and without being able to control the speed how do people control the spread width?

16. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

With a dial just like ona tail gate spreader

17. Snow commander

the conversions I have seen are not variable speed just on and off. I looked for speed controllers but have not found one rated for the high amps that a 1 hp motor would draw

18. Snow commander

the conversions I have seen are not variable speed just on and off. I looked for speed controllers but have not found one rated for the high amps that a 1 hp motor would draw

19. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

You will need 2 motors the 1hp motor you will no slow down

20. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

PM me your number an I can help you