1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airflow sander SALT lock-up!!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by RoundHillSnow, Feb 1, 2011.

1. RoundHillSnow

RoundHillSnow Junior Member

Hello to all, I am a newbee, just signed up yesterday. I didn't think I would be posting for help so soon. I have an Airflow 1.7 yard V-box sander. It's in a 2003 GMC Sierra 3500. I have been using sand/salt (5-1) up until about a week ago. I then tried straight salt during a 12"+ storm and liked the results. (When I filled up with salt, I had about 1/4 load of sand/salt left, which was towards the back of the unit (near chute). I then filled up yesterday with salt for the storm that most of us are dealing with now. I still had about 1/4 salt-sand/salt mix left. Started out this am working fine. At third job nothing was coming out. Checked sander and found I had lock-up at chute door. Removed material from area of chute in box and found large lock-up of just salt. Removed large chucks! Checked remaining area of belt-clear. However, belt/spinner disk doesn't move. I kinda hear the engine idle down when I try the blast switch. Nothing moves though. I am thinking I may have seized up/damaged the gearbox, as this powers both belt/spinner. Started to spread by hand. Any ideas out there? I may not be able to deal with it until after this storms passes. Thank you all in advance.

David/and the guys at Round Hill Landscaping, Middlesex County, CT (the shoreline-South of Hartford.)

Two trucks and growing
    Three snow blowers (one down)
    Lots of shovels and hot chocolate.

2. RoundHillSnow

RoundHillSnow Junior Member

Got my own answer. Found out that I had a an additional lock-up in chute/spinner area. All freed up now. Thanks.

David/and the guys at Round Hill Landscaping, Middlesex County, CT (the shoreline-South of Hartford.)

Two trucks and growing
    Three snow blowers (one down)
    Lots of shovels and hot chocolate.