1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

airflow- no in cab start up or spinner spinning--??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by neversatisfied, Dec 15, 2003.

1. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

Bought the new airfloe stainless sanders this year.Worked fine today.Went out an hour later and it wont start from the cab and the spinner wont engage(clutch) to throw the salt.This one is brand new.Anything to look at before i try to deal with the place i bought?Its all there,wires and everything is perfect,this ones 2 days old.Thanks

2. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

take a test light and have a second person check the wiring and solenoid on the unit. if its not clicking over or engaging the clutch its sounds like something is not grounding properly.

3. myo

myo Senior Member

I just bought a new airflo stainless steel v-box too. I installed it myself using power supply through my fuse box to my windshield wiper fuse. The first day I tested to see if I installed it correctly, it started up and ran good. So when I went to show my wife, I did not have my truck turned on or the key in the on position so there was no power to it and I thought there was something seriously wrong with it when it didn't start. But then I realized it was not on. ANd then it started right up

So that is my long story, is anything happening at all?

4. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

well the white wire on the box needs to be grounded.very very weird because it has been running fine with no ground on the control box for the time it was used until now.everything is good now except now the electric throttle in cab doesnt work.damn new stuff:gunsfiring:

5. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

most throttles are controlled by a bosch relay mounted in the engine compartment of the spreader. when you move your switchin the cab, it sends current in one direction. One of the two wires for the relay is acting as pos. and the other is acting as neg. When you move the throttle in the other direction pos and neg switch and the relay adjusts the throttle. So if for some reason one of the two wires is not connected between your switchbox and the throttle relay, or they aren't "grounding" properly, the relay will "seize" up and not adjust your throttle.

To make sure the relay is good, hook one wire on a pos battery terminal and the other on a neg battery terminal and the little hook on the relay should move. when you reverse the wires, it should go in the other direction. If nothing happens the relay is bad. if it works, then you need to check your wiring from the cab back. if your spreader has any quick connects between the controller and the spreader, make sure they are connected well.

6. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Huh. I have the exact same problem with MY brand new AirFlo stainless. I'm planning to go out to the dealer on thursday if I can. I was able to jump-start the spreader, but couldn't get it started again without jumper cables. Also when I did get it going I had no Fast-Slow engine idle/choke control from in the cab. It was stuck on CHOKE and I had to manually move the lever from back at the engine...not good. Haven't checked the white wire at the control box though. Dealer told me it was for hooking up an auxillary light if I wanted to do so.

7. neversatisfied

neversatisfied Member
    from ct

cutntrim thats what i thought about the white wire.The one near the box needs to be grounded and the white wire near the starter on the sander is for lights.I still havent gottin to get to work on the throttle in cab switch,im just lucky its stuck on half throttle so it does spread salt ok for now.But yes it is a bummer,new stuff is supposed to act like....NEW not the older stuff we replace it with,lol.