1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airflo tailgate sander info?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by thelawnguy, Dec 15, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Saw an Airflo 2 stage tailgate sander last night. Looked like a stout unit. Anyone with info on this? Did not look at all like the western/meyer/etc style sanders.

2. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

I have an airflow tailgate spreader. I love it, it works great. I use bulk salt and a lot of tailgate spreatders get clogged. THe airflow has a conveyer belt in it and can handle anything you can give it. I would buy another one if I have the chance.

3. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

Look at a Curtis!

Curtis makes a two stage swing away unit that's auger fed, not conveyor fed. look into one, because if you keep a snowblower in your truck, you could just swing the spreader away and get your snowblower. check out other brands also, like the western/fisher pro flo 2.

bryan

4. thelawnguy

I found the spreader I saw at http://www.air-flo.com/products.htm its at the bottom, model mss. This thing makes the curtis and western look like toys. Guess Ill have to call the dealer on Mon and get a price.

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

the curtis and western have a 10cubic foot capacity , while the air-flo has a 6.5 cubic foot capacity, just something to think about before you shell out your money.

Bryan

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Guys before you spend any money. Just remember ya still got to shovel the sand into the spreader. I would price out a v-box and a tailgate before ya buy one.

Geoff

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

We have 2 air flow tailgate spreader and they rock all other tailgate spreaders. As far as capacity goes, just add a 2x6 or 2x8 around the top of it, and it will hold as much as those silly plastic hoppers. They conveyor belt is awesome, and they spread great as well. Awesome units for small lots and sidewalks.
    Dino

8. RB

RB Senior Member

I"m looking into purchasing one. Found a dealer who sells them for about $1,900. They weight about 240 lbs. very strong looking. I tried to make it a point to stop everyone that has one on their truck and they all stay there are great.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Nicest thing is we bought 1 yr old units, for 1K each. If I were to pay full price of 1900, look for a used v box, or anty up the extra grand for a v box. But for 1K you cant go wrong with that unit. Unfortunately this is the wrong time of year to buy any thing snow and ice related.
    Dino

10. thelawnguy

My big drawback for a v-box, is that I effectively limit the use of my pickup for 6 months, then the matter of storage the other 6. The tailgate sander can be removed if need be and tucked away in a corner. For my 3 moderatew lots refilling a tailgate sander from the truck bed half dozen times would be a compromise I could live with.

11. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill

With a chain fall less than 50 bucks for a cheap one. And a truss system built out of 4X4's I know a guy that can remove/ install his V-box in under 15 mins. Then he has another 4X4 that he slides under the v-box for extra support. I don't know how much space you have around your house, but I bet you could tuck it away someplace.

food for thought

Geoff

12. Cutter1

Cutter1 Senior Member

lawnguy.....I tell you right now. THe airflow tailgate isn't something you can take on and off real easy!!! Wants its on, its staying on. Its a pain in the butt to take on and off!!

13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I can pull out my 1 yd v-box in under 5 minutes,it is SSteel and weighs 400 lbs.I have a chain fall,back under it,pull one plug and unhook 4 ratcheting straps and throw the hook on the rear brace and lift it out,real easy,then i set it on my old snowmoblie trailer and wheel it outside if i need to work on something.

14. RB

RB Senior Member

I saw an air-flo tailgate with a hitch mount. The guy that had it said he bought one of those hitch mounts for the buyers plastic box and modified it a little. He did say that it's best to be removed with two people.

15. thelawnguy

Thank you all. The comments give me something to think about.

16. thelawnguy