1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airflo Spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lilweeds, Aug 16, 2008.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Hi guys it's coming sooner then we think. I'm looking at some used Airflo spreaders and was wondering the in's and out's of them. We have a dealer close by that services some of the bigger companies. Can a gas model be converted to electric? What should I be concerned with replacing on a 6 year old stainless unit?

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes but normally requires more money that its worth. but i could be wron g, having never done it , also depends on your model.

check the battery , and clutch system over really good, oil the convyor, spinner is tight, has all its finns, nothing else loose, gear lube in the gear box, visually inspect the bearings for the convyor, lube as needed, belts and chains, tight -

engine, starts , easy - cuz in the cold its not so easy, electric throtlle works, including the choke, if its pull starter , inspect the rop.... keep starting fluid and spare plugs in you truck,

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Make sure the exhaust is routed outside of the engine box, they don't like sucking exhaust in the intake. seriously shortens engine life.

4. elite1msmith

from chicago

, thats a good one, never thought about it completely

5. lilweeds

So is $1500 to much for one that runs, but needs the seasonal work done to it?

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

you know it depends...i found one for 1000

i would say this, make him start it, and use the clutch, on and off a few times.... tell him 1300, and if he loads half of it with sand, and proves to you that it does spread the sand out , give hime 1500...... then atleast you know it runs well and the cluch can hold the weight

7. lilweeds

I'll give that a try. The new one is 4600, so I'm trying to save a few dollars.

8. lilweeds

I went to look at the spreader today. i was surprised at all the rust on a "stainless" spreader. Although the box and all were great, there is alot to rust up on these things. He may be willing to deal a bit so it's not out of the question, and it seems to run good. So I guess we'll see.

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

rust... = salt spreader.....

even stainless can show signs of rust

and that only meens the basic v-box is stainless....all the parts are standard metal...and will bleed on to the stainless making it look bad

10. scoopdog

scoopdog Junior Member
    from ohio

A new at $4600 is not a bad price. Who has them for $4600 new??

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

A new SS for $4600:eek: What kind???

12. lilweeds

The new one I was looking at was one leftover from last year, all electric airflow. Is that really a good price? Should I jump on that? It's just around the corner from me.

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Reasonable for what it is.

14. scoopdog

scoopdog Junior Member
    from ohio

I am a Airflo dealer and list on that is now like $6100. That is a great deal. I am an airflo dealer and can not sell at that price, but I have 2 henderson v boxes with honda's that have 10 nights on each like new for $2750.00

15. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

AirFlo

I got quoted $4550 cash and carry for a 8ft SS AirFlow today.

16. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I am an Air-Flo dealer as well. $4,550.00 is a good price for cash & carry. Jump on it.

17. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Here is what I have been told about 304 stainless steel. When you see rust on 304 stainless, it is not the metal rusting. Its like if you took a metal shovel and scraped the 304 stainless steel with it, that the metal from the shovel that came off on the 304 stainless is rusting. The same as if you were welding around it and got weld splatter on it. Or something like a bolt or washer has rusted and bled on it.