1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fdsr, Aug 22, 2003.

1. fdsr

fdsr Junior Member

I need to know if airbags need to be disconnected to plow safely or is my truck ok the way it is? Chevy 2500HD ext Cab.
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Nah, I doubt it. It has been discussed before, and it seems that it is not something that you need to worry about. The air bags would deploy if there is a hard impact. There would be some sensors behind front bumper, or close to that. You would have to do a real serious hard impact with snowplow and headgear before air bags sensors would be hit. So, there is nothing to worry about. Nobody ever reported about air bags going off when plowing.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

You don't have a thing to worry about.Never heard of an airbag going off due to plowing.Probably more dangerous have the airbags disconnected.
  4. fdsr

fdsr Junior Member

Thanks for the Info
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I think most of the stories about airbags going off in plow trucks were urban legends, I heard stories but never met anyone that actually saw a truck that had one go off.;)

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I have been to many accidents involving trucks with truckside mounts. Never say a problem preventing the airbag from going off. Also I have never seen or heard of an airbag going off from plowing. I did however see a truck with a plow in an accident where the airbag did not go off.

Most airbag sensors are inertia triggered. It is the sudden stopping of the vehicle that causes deployment in most cases.
  7. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

The firedude is right. ( I cant remember all these names) Airbags are set off by inertia sensors rather than impact units. They measure the amount, and angle of decreasing motion. While it is possible to set off airsbags at slow speeds it is not common. Plowing is done at relatively slow speeds.
    I have plowed in trucks of every make (there are only 3 in our country), ever since they started putting bags in. I currently use a 02 chevy 2500hd ext cab. During those unsafe moments while trying to catch up while not having enough sleep, I have mistakenly hit things that I shouldn't have at speeds that I shouldn't have been driving at, and have never set off the airbags.
    Leave em alone and reduce your 'to do' list by 1
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

An airbag sensor uses an accelerometer to measure the rate of deceleration.

The have two airbag sensors,and one safing sensor.The safing sensor is usually mounted in the middle of the vehicle,like in the cabin,or in the SRS module.The safing sensor must go off first,followed by on the the front mounted airbag sensors (mounted on the frnt crossmember or frame rails),to trigger the bag.They are very precise in the rate of deceleration,and angle for them to be triggered.
  9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Keep in mind that all the steps Wyldman mentioned occurr in a fraction of a second. This is the key, the speed of deceleration. Most plowing "hits" are more prolonged.
  10. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

My dad has a 2001 chevy 3500 which has airbags. We plowed 2 winters with it and the airbags didn't go off. :)
  11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've been told the system works with 3 sensors as wyldman mentioned. In addition, it's been explained to me that when your "Airbag" light is flashing, it means one sensor has been tripped. When the light goes to a steady burn, it means 2 sensors have been tripped and you better get them replaced or reset because the next step is KABLOOEY!":eek:

As explained by an auto tech.
  12. wyldman

wyldman Member

That is incorrect.The airbag light will flash,or come on steady (just depends on the car) if there is a fault detected in the sensors,wiring,airbag,or module.It does not matter if it's on,two,or all three sensors failed.Once the light is on,or flashing,then airbag system is disabled until the problem is repaired.