1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

airbags vs timbren?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brycen Shetler, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Brycen Shetler

Brycen Shetler Junior Member
    from Ohio

Just purchased timbren rear suspension for a 2000 chevy 3/4 ton , installed them and truck still squats, also installed new rear shocks. Have a 1.5 cubic yd Salt Dog on the back, curious if air bags would do more to level the ride.

2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I have the same salter on my truck and I also tow my skidsteer. I have come across the same dilemma. I just ordered a set or four firestone air bags with the level control air compressor kit. It was alot more than timbrens, but timbrens are just longer rubber than the stock parts. When you hit a bump, thats got to hurt. Also, air bags are even more forgiving on the suspension. I am tired of front end repairs every 2 seasons. AutoAnything has a promo code (eja1117ws) that give you 12% off with free shipping and that has been the best price I could find so I pulled the trigger.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Air bags are much better. They are adjustable, and you don't have to wait for the suspension to squat before they start carrying some of the load. And they ride better when empty.

Plowzilla - why do you expect airbags to reduce front end repairs?

4. Brycen Shetler

Brycen Shetler Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thank you fellows for your reply, probably buy the air bags.

5. sd_truck_tech

sd_truck_tech Inactive

Air Bags for You

Hello Brycen,

The Timbrens are great, especially on the front for snow plow support but we do run into situations where the air bags would be better for an application. Yours is one of these. Air bags will always give you more control over your situation as the adjustable nature of air springs is right at your finger tips whereas with the Timbren you are relying on them to do the work which great for functionality and ease of maintenance but in your situation I would go with some firestone bags. You can find them here http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5937 and use promo code PLOWSITE for $10 off.:mechanic:

6. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

My mechanic told me they would. Also, I read under the air bag description it would also. And lastly, common sense tells us that the air bag would "give" opposed to the front end slamming against the stock rubber bushing. When I hit a bad pothole or go over tracks, I feel the front end bottom out on the rubber; this is like taking a sledge hammer to the hub axles ( replaced both recently). I drive an F250 with a tow package so I already know my suspension is beefed up, in case your wondering.

7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

No experience with Timbrens but I do have expereiencd with the Firestone air bags, a great product in my opinion! I had them on my 06 GMC 4x4 ext cab shortbed 1/2 ton, I hauled an 8' slide in truck camper (Lighter pop up version) and tow'd my jeep on the trailer at the same time. The truck handled the weight like a champ. And as an added bonus you get to ride on air, making the ride great too. I had the sport rites, I did also run ten ply tires. They net you another 3k of capability. One thing to be aware of is when they tell you to maintain 10psi at all times, make sure you do it or you will wreck the bags.

8. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Not sure if this is an option or not for you . When I wanted to hold my rear up better because of a large load in our half ton I purchased a set of Hellwig Overload Springs that really only come into play when you have pushed down on the factory springs to a point that they are starting to unarch . Then the overload springs hook up and dont let the normal spring compress and the load now bears onto the big heavy overload springs. Works perfect for us and in the summer you can just unload the U bolts and they are not involved in the ride of the truck at all so it rides like it always did and NOT like a buckboard???
    Good luck

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i have air bags in the back of my 05 2500HD i would reccomend them to anyone needing a little extra support in the rear

11. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

air bags all the way! adjustability is there and is a soft ride when you don't have weight