1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airbags Set off while Plowing!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by JohnRoscoe, Dec 10, 2010.

1. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

So, this morning I had both airbags go off in our 2001 F150 truck when I hit a water valve box in the street. Thing is, we've been plowing with this truck for 10 years, and have hit that valve box before, with no problems. To be honest, the plow's bumped into a fair amount of stuff in the last decade that would rattle your teeth.

What was different this time? Any ideas on how to avoid it in the future? I'll be turning off the passenger bag in the future when no one is there, but I'd hate to spend this money very often.

Felt like I was hit in the face with a 2x6, and since the truck jarring wasn't anything that ununsual, I was very surprised!

2. JD_F250

JD_F250 Junior Member
    from WI

There is only one thing to do to make this right. Pick up that 2x6 and smack your truck in the face! There...your even! But seriously, ive heard of this before. My plow guy said that people have installed a switch on there truck that turns of power to the airbag. Not sure how or anything but thats what i know. I can just picture you...what the ****

3. chasity2682

chasity2682 Member
    from canada

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure someone told me that when the dealer installs your plow they diconect the sensers in the front end of the truck.

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I'M calling BS. you have to trip more than one sensor in the vehicle all within a split second for them to fire.

if a dealer actually did diconnect a sensor and let the truck go out that way that dealer would not be in business for long.

5. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I couldnt agree more... 99% of people use their trucks in the summer too...

6. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I wouldn't want to switch it off even if I could, I can only imagine the repurcussions if someone were in an accident with a modified airbag system

The service writer at the dealer suggested I turn off the passenger side when plowing solo though. When I asked her what that would do, she said, "save you $600 next time." Doh!

7. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure you're wrong. As has already been stated, triggering an airbag takes a relatively complex series of events and disconnecting a few sensors won't do it.

The more important reason that I doubt any dealer would do this is liability. No dealer would risk getting sued out of business when a real crash failed to set of the bags.

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i bet you had to go home and change your underware after that happined.

9. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

it's like a pimp hand to the face, they even throw the powder on it

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Since the plow mounting is bolted up to the frame of the truck I am not sure how this happened.
    Unless you welded the mount to the bumper.

I hit a curb at Toys-R-Us a couple of years ago so hard it put the back wheels in the air while loaded with salt, bent the heck out of the blade, broke a trip spring and cracked the A-frame of the plow. But had no air bag deployment.

11. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

that why i said BS. i know what is required to set an airbag off and hitting something with a plow is NO|T going to do it.

12. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I wish I could agree with those of you calling BS, but my sore body, deployed airbags, and cracked windshield would all disagree.

FWIW, the plow is a 7'6" Boss V, with the correct mount bolted to the frame, back in 2000 when the truck was new. It's never happened before, and I hope it never happens again.

13. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

a boss v on a f150? really?

14. kc2006

kc2006 Senior Member

Pics then.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have had two airbags go off on me, neither were plow trucks. First time the front of my car was hit by a runaway tire & wheel from a pickup coming the other way. Second time was a low speed rear-end collision. Neither time were mulch fun, that's for sure.

I have had numerous hard hits in my airbag equipped plow truck. One time was an instant dead stop on a driveway cut, another was hard enough to knock over a good sized tree. And numerous other decent hits. No airbag deployments.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

From my training, the air bags don't go off at low speeds. Like under 35MPH. I can see some of the sensors seeing it as a crash. That sudden stop is pretty violent. I broke a cutting edge right up the middle on a water shut off box.

17. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

18. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Holy crap batman that looks like a deployed air bag. I guess BS should be withdrawn.

19. eric02038

eric02038 Senior Member
    from MA

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Sure they do and they must give everyone a million dollars too

20. Township1

Township1 Member

John,

This should not have happened, though I have personally seen two cases where air bags went off for absolutly no reason. You need to get the system checked out.

Has the vehicle been involved in any minor accidents recently? It sounds like you may have a tripped or malfunctioning crash sensor, and when you hit the water box, you may have tripped the arming sensor.