1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airbags on/off

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DrB, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DrB

DrB Junior Member

I am having a Western midwieght plow put on my GMC 1500 (1/2 ton P/u) to do the plowing at my house and business properties. Light commmercial stuff....

Do the airbags need to be disconnected? The people installing the plow say no they do not need to be. I thought I remembered hearing the dealer ( where I bought the truck state that I should have the airbags disconnected.

What do the pros advise

Thanks for the input..

SB

2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

No you do not and should not disconnect the airbags. You'd have to hit something pretty hard to make them go off.

3. Snowman19

Snowman19 Senior Member

I would not dissconnect the air bags. you need to hit something really really hard to make them go off, and by that time you might need them to go off to save your head from introducing itself to your dashboard!!!!:waving:

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

3rd that..;)
    mutual agreement society :waving: lol

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No doubt, leave em connected.

What's the farthest you've been thrown outa the seat without the bags deploying?? I know I've hit the windshield, headliner, steering wheel (that one drew alot of blood). I tend to go alot slower now.............

6. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

leave them on nothing will happen if u hit a curb lol....

7. topdog

topdog Member
    from indiana

i blew a set 2 years ago pulling bushes out. costly mistake! one thing to remember is if you were in an accident and they were off. insurance wont cover you. what i do now is if no passanger i turn off the passanger one. that way if i ever blow them again at least it will be a bit less costly!

8. Dogbonz

Dogbonz Member

If you can turn off the passenger side one,,,those are about 1200 compared to bout 6 or 700 for lt side, Also almost all airbags are on an inercia type switch, picture a ball at the back of the sensor, stuck to the back wall by a magnet, if you it that hard enough to dislodge the magnet and it rolls forward, it hits 2 elctrodes that trigger the bag to go off.
    as a 20 yr body tech,, we used to set off old bags for fun out in the back lot. Man those things can fly:)

9. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I also turn off the passengers side air bag, but I never have a passenger while I'm out working... not that I'll admit to anyway...lol