1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airbags and Plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by nate456789, Aug 13, 2009.

1. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I recently got a new Chevy 2500 HD and I am putting a new blade on it.
    Should I disable the Airbags when plowing?
    In my old truck, hitting man hole covers and drains really jarred and shook the truck.
    I would hate to set off the bags.

Any thoughts on this? What does everyone else do and has anyone set off their bags plowing?
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

air bags

i have got a 01 2500hd and hit some big pile's hard and havent set it off yet i wonder just how hard to disable it would be .:eek:
  3. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would think the easiest and safest would be to pull the fuse when the truck is off. That would Not be very convenient to do all the time. The ideal way would be a key switch like for the passenger side. But have that key kill power for all the bags. I would really like to hear from some one that knows more about airbags.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is absolutely no need to disable the airbags on a plow equipped truck. If you ever hit something with enough force to deploy them you'll be graciously grateful they were there. ;)
  5. Gear_Head

Gear_Head Senior Member
    from IL

most wrecks I work in areas with speeds greater than plowing, never set the air bags off. You should be fine.
  6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

In order to set off the airbags while plowing, you'll have to hit something hard enough to crumple the plow frame into the grill.

You'll be fine.