1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Airbag going off?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Sep 18, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I heard from a friend of mine today that plowing with my truck will make the airbags go off if I hit something. Is this true?
  2. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

haha not unless u hit something so hard that it goes through the snowplow and the front grill.
  3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

If you keep it under 60 you'll be fine. :D
  4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

you probley souldn't talk to that guy anymore, he just might make you dumb if you hag out with him.:eek:
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I take it then that I've got nothing to worry about as far as the airbag goes! Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
  6. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Put it this way. I was plowing a drive I had never plowed before, we had 18" on the ground, and I was trying to push a full scoope across the street, I was hauling tail :D . I hit the lip where the drive and the street meet and bloodied my nose. It broke the plastic cover off my sun visrer holder, no BS.

Now If my air bags didn't go off then, I'd say you will be fine.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

most air bag sensors are a pin style. were the sensor sits flat on the frame. then when it buckles from the smash of a real hit then it will let the pin move and trip a circkit to pop the bag.

and if you still dont feel safe just turn off the key and then pull the fuse or fuses for the airbag system till done plowing.

also most systems wont activate use till 15-20 mph of speed.
  8. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

Momma always said that you should learn something new every day...tell your buddy that you just did and that if you can manage to squeeze in a second one today you will be happy to hang out an be dumb with him all day tomorrow:D :D
  9. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Just carry a knife so you can cut it away. They only pop once :D
  10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

they actually deflate on their own. there are holes in the sides of the bag.