1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

air shocks

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by linngrovian, Oct 14, 2008.

1. linngrovian

linngrovian Junior Member
    from indiana

I have a 2005 jeep wrangler unlimited. I installed a western uni mount system 6.5 feet in width. My problem is the weight of the plow squating the suspension down to the bump stops with the plow raised. What kind of air shocks, and where can I buy them.
  2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There is a guy on here running a V on a Jeep and he uses air shocks. I am sure he will respond. I would not think they would hold up but from him, they do.

Other options would be airbags or timbrens.

A Western 6.5 really isn't super heavy on that Jeep so you shouldn't have to do too much work to the suspension.
  3. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

Since he hasn't responded yet, try searching on "theplowmeister". :salute: You will find all sorts of great things related to Jeeps.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I'm Baaaaaaak
  5. theplowmeister

from MA

Air shocks can add about 1,000# of lift to the F end. depends on how much air pressure you put in them. Pump them up for the plow let some air out when you take the plow off. You can even use them to help hook up the plow... if you drive up to mount the plow and your jeep is to low then pump up the shocks until the jeep matches the plow mount.

I've done this about 5 times already. I'll give you the links and with a Little time and pencil and paper you can figure out what you need.

1) Look up the shock for your application. (your current shock) and write it down http://catalog.tenneco.com/monroe/eCatalog.do

2) Go hear and find your shock (Use the serch put your number in the serch box) write down the compressed length, extended length, top mount style and bottom mount style. go up to page 2 and familiarize yourself with the mounting styles. your bottom mount is XP4.http://www.monroe.com/catalog_lookup/misc_app_docs/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

3) go down to "Air Shocks" ( use the search) Find an air shock that matches as close to yours as possible. in your case it looks like the MA763 is close, it has a bottom mount XP5 The bottom mount is 1/16 biger.. at worst a litle filing) Order the shocks or cross reference to Gabrial Hi-jacker.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  6. monkemeier

monkemeier Junior Member

Air shocks for 2007JK

Thanks Plowmeister. I picked out MA793 and installed them today. They fit perfectly on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK.
  7. theplowmeister

from MA

I hope they work out for you. Let me know how your setup works.
  8. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

I had a little trouble ordering the air shocks for my Jeep. I called tech support at Tenneco and they said there is no way I can put those air shocks on my 98 TJ. He said they are for rear only and I will have safety issues when the air bladder goes at 40 miles an hour and they also will not fit.
    I have about 700lbs on the front and a lot of sagging. Any ideas?

Thanks Mike
  9. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member